Does anyone know what this is called?... :)

Raizels

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
100_7992-3.jpg

100_7998-3.jpg

100_8000-2.jpg

Last edited:
It's called digital noise

Thanks, Jeweler ;)
and fokker, advice would be helpful...

1- Blown out.. way to over exposed..( maybe the flash?) I lik'e the angle of this shot the best...shows more of the flowers details.
2- I like better of the three shots, it has a little more going for it in the background. But shooting it *dead-on* makes it lose something.
3- dead center..straight on shot... looks really out of focus to me...

Theyre not *Bad* Shots, imo. Just not *wow* shots.

Thanks, I appreciate the time you took.
The thing about the angle is, I was advised here not to shoot flowers from above, as it can be too boring an angle. But this flower was just too pretty not to show fully... hence the different angles.

Does anyone know what this is called?... :)

Define "this".

While working on your photographic skills, you might also devote some time to your communication skills. ;)

Like fokker, I too first thought of the noise in the image, rather than identifying the kind of flower that is the main subject.

PerfectlyFlawed gave you a good critique.

I would just add the suggestion of acquiring a very good and inexpensive paperbound book on composition:

The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and see if I can get a hold of that book here.

As for the title, I know I should have written "does anyone know what this flower is called?". It's just that I got the feeling that many people would skip over the thread if they saw the word "flower".... I'm usually pretty articulate, if I do say so myself. :)

It's just that I got the feeling that many people would skip over the thread if they saw the word "flower".... I'm usually pretty articulate, if I do say so myself. :)

That made me chuckle. ;) However, there are folk here who appreciate flower photography & it can be challenging. We all have our likes & dislikes & I tend to skip threads that identify auto pics as they are boring to me.

Thanks, Jeweler ;)

Shoot at a lower ISO to reduce noise, otherwise use software to remove it (not as good as shooting at lower ISO)

Iris is a genus of between 200-300 species of flowering plants with showy flowers which takes its name from the Greek word for a rainbow, referring to the wide variety of flower colours found among the many species. As well as being the scientific name, iris is also very widely used as a common name and refers to all Iris species as well as some closely related genera. It is the state flower of Tennessee.

The genus is widely distributed throughout the north temperate zone. Their habitats are considerably varied, ranging from cold regions into the grassy slopes, meadowlands, stream banks and deserts of Europe, the Middle East and northern Africa, Asia and across North America. They are perennial herbs, growing from creeping rhizomes (rhizomatous irises), or, in drier climates, from bulbs (bulbous irises). They have long, erect, flowering stems, which may be simple or branched, solid or hollow, and flattened or have a circular cross-section. The rhizomatous species usually have 3-10 basal, sword-shaped leaves growing in dense clumps. The bulbous species have cylindrical basal leaves. The inflorescences are fan-shaped and contain one or more symmetrical, six-lobed, slightly fragrant flowers. These grow on a pedicel or lack a footstalk. The three sepals are spreading or droop downwards. They expand from their narrow base into a broader limb (= expanded portion), often adorned with lines or dots. The three, sometimes reduced, petals stand upright, partly behind the sepal bases. Some smaller iris species have all six lobes pointing straight outwards. The sepals and the petals differ from each other. They are united at their base into a floral tube, that lies above the ovary. The styles divide towards the apex into petaloid branches (see pollination, below). The iris flower is of special interest as an example of the relation between flowering plants and pollinating insects. The shape of the flower and the position of the pollen-receiving and stigmatic surfaces on the outer petals form a landing-stage for a flying insect, which in probing the perianth for nectar, will first come in contact of perianth, three with the stigmatic stamens in one whorl surface which is borne and an ovary formed of three carpels. The shelf-like transverse projection on the inner whorl under side of the stamens, which is beneath the over-arching style arm below the stigma, so that the insect comes in contact with its pollen-covered surface only after passing the stigma, while in backing out of the flower it will come in contact only with the non-receptive lower face of the stigma. Thus, an insect bearing pollen from one flower, will in entering a second, deposit the pollen on the stigma, while in backing out of a flower, the pollen which it bears will not be rubbed off on the stigma of the same flower.

Up to 300 species have been placed in the genus Iris. Modern classifications, starting with W. R. Dykes' 1913 book, have subdivided them. Dykes referred to the major subgroupings as sections, but later authors have generally called them subgenera, while essentially retaining his groupings. Like some older sources, the influential classification by G. I. Rodionenko removed some groups (particularly the bulbous irises) to separate genera, but even if this is done the genus remains large and several subgenera, sections and/or subsections are recognised within it. There are six subgenera, of which five are restricted to the Old World, and the sixth (subgenus Limniris) with a Holarctic distribution; the two largest subgenera are further divided into sections. Irises are extensively grown as ornamental plants in gardens. The most commonly found garden iris is the bearded German Iris and its numerous cultivars. Various wild forms and naturally occurring hybrids of Iris pallida and I. variegata form the basis of most all modern hybrid bearded iris. Median forms of bearded iris [intermediate bearded (IB), miniature tall bearded (MTB), etc] are derived from crosses between tall and dwarf varieties. Other iris types commonly found in garden are I. siberica and its hybrids (Siberian irises) and I. ensata and its hybrids (Japanese irises). The bearded irises are easy to cultivate and propagate, and have become very popular in gardens. They grow in any good free garden soil, the smaller and more delicate species needing only the aid of turf ingredients, either peat or loam, to keep it light and open in texture. The earliest to bloom are the dwarf forms of Iris pumila, which blossom during March, April and May; and during the latter month and the following one most of the larger growing 'tall bearded' varieties, such as I. germanica, florentina, pallida, variegata, amoena, flavescens, sambucina, neglecta, ruthenica and their modern hybrids. It should be noted that a true red standard, tall bearded Iris remains an unattained goal of frequent hybridizing and selection. There are species and selections thereof, most notably, Iris fulva, which has a relatively pure red color. However, getting this color into a modern Iris breed has proven very difficult, and thus, the vast majority of Irises are in the purple\blue range of the color spectrum. The section Iris subgen. Iris sect. Oncocyclus contains the cushion or royal irises, a group of plants noted for their large, strongly marked flowers. Between 30 and 60 species are classified in this section, depending on the authority. Compared with other irises the cushion varieties are scantily furnished with narrow sickle shaped leaves and the flowers are usually borne singly on the stalks. The closely allied Iris subgenus Iris sect. Regelia, includes several garden hybrids with species in sect. Oncocyclus, known as "Regelio-cyclus" irises. They are best planted in September or October in warm sunny positions, the rhizomes being lifted the following July after the leaves have withered. Iris unguicularis (syn. I. stylosa) is a late winter flowering species from Algeria, with sky-blue flowers blotched with yellow, produced (in the Northern Hemisphere) from November to March or April. Many other smaller species of bulbous iris, being liable to perish from excess of moisture, should have a well-drained bed of good but porous soil made up for them, in some sunny spot, and in winter should be protected by a covering of half-decayed leaves or fresh coco-fibre refuse. To this set belong I. milifolia, I. junonia, I. danfordiae, I. reichenbachii and others which flower as early as February and March. The cushion irises are somewhat fastidious growers, and to be successful with them they must be planted rather shallow in very gritty well-drained soil. They should not be disturbed in the autumn, and after the leaves have withered the roots should be protected from heavy rains until growth starts again naturally.

Rhizomes of the bearded iris are the source of orris root and are used in perfume and medicine, though more common in ancient times than today. Today Iris essential oil (absolute) from flowers are sometimes used in Aromatherapy as sedative medicines. The dried rhizomes are also given whole to babies to help in teething. Iris rhizomes contain terpenes, organic acids (miristic acid, undecilene acid, tridecilic acid), glycosides iridin, and the leaves contain ascorbic acid.

Iris rhizomes are harvested, dried, and aged for up to 5 years. In this time, the fats and oils inside the roots undergo degradation and oxidation, which produces many fragrant compounds that are invaluable in perfumery. The scent is said to be similar to violets. The aged rhizomes are steamed distilled which produces a thick oily compound, known in the perfume industry as iris butter.
(1)

(1) Paralumun New Age Village Iris Flower

D@mn gryphonslair99!

Thanks, Jeweler ;)

Shoot at a lower ISO to reduce noise, otherwise use software to remove it (not as good as shooting at lower ISO)

What level would you recommend?

It's just that I got the feeling that many people would skip over the thread if they saw the word "flower".... I'm usually pretty articulate, if I do say so myself. :)

That made me chuckle. ;) However, there are folk here who appreciate flower photography & it can be challenging. We all have our likes & dislikes & I tend to skip threads that identify auto pics as they are boring to me.

Amen, bro! I can appreciate that cars are reflective and therefore hart to photograph, but I cannot understand what's supposed to be so interesting about looking at a car :)

And as for the ovedrwhelming info by gryphonslair99... well.... Thanks, guess I learned my "something new every day" for today.

Most reactions

Back