Does newer flash memory use less power when being written too.

Tinderbox (UK)

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have wondered for a few years, just as with cpu`s the smaller the process 22nm normally the less power it uses, than the equivalent size chip a few years ago, My Intel Atom cpu uses 2watts and give the same performance that a 25watts cpu 10 years ago.

So as flash memory card sizes get larger, the manufacturing process gets smaller just to be able to fit it on the card, not to mention new 3d transistors giving higher data density's.

Have you ever take a lot of continues photo`s and removed the flash card and noticed it is very warm, even hot, all that heat is wasted energy, eg shorter battery life.

So retire that 8gb flash memory from 5-10 years ago and get a new card from a recognized manufacturer, I use Samsung or Sandisk as the quality is the best, and are much more resistant to damage have had cheaper cards fall apart.

Anyway i would like to hear you opinions on the subject.

Maybe we could test by using an eternal card reader on an notebook and write a few gb of date and then checking the temperature using a infra-red thermometer, hot is bad.

Thanks

John.

As the memory technology gets better they are also still limited to meeting the specific size of the SD card. Iv'e never taken one apart but I would think the internals get smaller.

But one thing you exclude is how much heat is generated to the camera that the SD card itself absorbs? You also have to look at Ambient temperature, inside camera temperature, camera body exposed to the sun, etc.

[EDIT: Even body temperature as your hand would be on the grip and possible transferring energy (heat) to the SD card area.]

So many potential variables that can affect the SD card's case temperature.

Last edited:
Thats is why it is best to do tests outside of the camera, say on a notebook, buy a card read, the type that only the connection actually fit inside and most of the card is exposed to the air, so that reader generated heat is excluded.

Then you write a large file to the card and them check the temperature, actually i have an digital usb power meter that i can connect to my notebook and plug an sdhc adaptor into it, and it should show the power the sdhc card is using, then i dont even need to measure the heat.

I will have to give it a go, it might work.

John.

EDIT: OK it works, this is a really quick beta1 test, the 8gb uses 90-100ma , the 16gb uses 60-70ma and the 32gb uses 60-70ma.

but my meter will calculate how much power is used over a period of time, so if i write an 8gb file, and i check the ma used after 30 minutes for all cards, the power usage will be more accurate.

What i am really interested in trying is an MicroSD in an Adaptor, does such a tiny card use less power?

EDIT: an MicroSD uses approx the same poser as an standard SDHC card, this needs a long test to confirm.

EDIT2: I wonder how much power my EyeFi card uses, UPDATE: It looks like it uses 170-180ma when transferring file using wifi to my notebook, this is now a sdhc write power test, it is wifi power only.

CoPMQM9.jpg

As the memory technology gets better they are also still limited to meeting the specific size of the SD card. Iv'e never taken one apart but I would think the internals get smaller.

But one thing you exclude is how much heat is generated to the camera that the SD card itself absorbs? You also have to look at Ambient temperature, inside camera temperature, camera body exposed to the sun, etc.

[EDIT: Even body temperature as your hand would be on the grip and possible transferring energy (heat) to the SD card area.]

So many potential variables that can affect the SD card's case temperature.

Last edited:
Just carry a spare battery and not worry about things like this.
FYI the LCD takes up far more battery power.

That`s what i tell people about mobile phone battery life, just carry a spare, but the number 1 improvement wanted by consumers is improved battery life.

Such fools, just carry a spare battery, problem sorted, dont worry about the wear and tear on your device, being opened every day.

John.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back