Does size matter???

A single 32GB card? I'd be pretty tense about that. Personally, I try not to keep all my eggs in one basket, as it were. Instead of a 32GB card, I have four 8GB cards and one 4GB. (In a full day of running around the city and covering events, that's just barely enough.)

I am not going to start RAW vs JPEG. Different users have different priority. Nothing wrong shooting RAW or JPEG.

As for the picture size. If storage is not an issue, larger image is better because some images may need cropping. It is always better to have a larger image to work with.

If you take a photo of a person and he/she is in the center of the photo. By cropping it, the photo may look more interesting. In that case, a larger (higher resolution) photo is preferred.

I don't think you can possibly argue that the best possible format to shoot is RAW. It's a lossless or virtually lossless format so you are starting with the best quality image. As soon as you shoot JPEG you are losing data.

The only thing that takes away from that is (perhaps) post processing time and file size. If you can't or don't want to deal with RAW files (not that big of an issue in my opinion) or you don't have the storage space (shouldn't be an issue with the price of cards these days) then you're stuck shooting JPG, which is probably fine for most of your photos - I obviously prefer the added insurance of RAW.

There is nobody that can honestly say that JPEG is a better format to shoot in than RAW, it's just not possible.

Unless you're shooting sports and need to fire 40 frames consecutively. Or, anything else that's super fast-paced.

I don't think you can possibly argue that the best possible format to shoot is RAW.

In any situations?

I shoot both RAW and Jpeg. It depends on the situation. Sometimes, I wish I can shoot faster even with Jpeg (I am using 40D with Extreme III CF). If I need to take 10-15 shots in a row, it will fill the buffer really quick.

I'm talking about image quality.

But since you brought it up... If you need to fire off that many shots in a row perhaps it's your skills/timing that need honing, or a video camera is in order.

:D

That's why I said "Different users have different priority." :sexywink:

Shooting at a faster frame rate has nothing to do with skills. (I am not saying my skill is good). Do you know some pros even use three 1d bodies :drool: to get faster than 10 fps at a sports event? Maybe USA Today should buy him a Video camera instead.

Anyway, back to OP question. Try out large format. (JPEG or RAW)

P.S. I am not saying JPEG is better than RAW in terms of image quality. But I thought OP was asking about the image resolution. I do not know about OP's camera, but I can shoot Small RAW in my camera.

Most reactions

Back