TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so im still learning DOF and wanted your thoughts on how this looks

disregard the reflection on the 8ball and how dirty it is please

thanks

dofpool1.jpg

how is it that the felt on the table is out of focus? was this done post process? i'm only asking because everything at the same distance as the 8 ball should be in focus.

yeah i just noticed that, odd mmmmmm.

ill try another one other than the felt how is it?

how is it that the felt on the table is out of focus? was this done post process? i'm only asking because everything at the same distance as the 8 ball should be in focus.

That's not how it works.

It is perfectly reasonable that the table is out of focus. The focus seems to be on the "8", so anything out from there may/may not be in focus.

That's not how it works.

It is perfectly reasonable that the table is out of focus. The focus seems to be on the "8", so anything out from there may/may not be in focus.
you beat me to it. The 8 is deffinately the focus point. Everything else in the forground and beyond is, and should be, out of focus.

i know you said disregard the light on the 8 ball but it just takes away from this whole picture for me sorry

i'm fixin to lose it ...............

i just want to get this straight before i go way off the freakin chart here. sooo, your trying to explain to me that when i focus on something, the camera is selectively focusing on a given subject and NOT FOCUSING TO A SPECIFIC DISTANCE THAT THE SUBJECT IS FROM THE LENS? ........... AND THAT EVERYTHING ELSE AT THAT SAME DISTANCE WILL NOT BE IN FOCUS. IS THIS WHAT YOUR SAYING?

I find it odd that the blur seems so even from the second ball back...gaussian blur?

Oh...checked the exif and you shot this wide angle. To get a little more blur going you should zoom out a bit more. Although this isn't bad for a P&S advanced bridge camera. Play around with it some more. Use the largest aperture possible, zoom out, get close and make sure the background isn't close to the last object.

i'm fixin to lose it ...............

i just want to get this straight before i go way off the freakin chart here. sooo, your trying to explain to me that when i focus on something, the camera is selectively focusing on a given subject and NOT FOCUSING TO A SPECIFIC DISTANCE THAT THE SUBJECT IS FROM THE LENS? ........... AND THAT EVERYTHING ELSE AT THAT SAME DISTANCE WILL NOT BE IN FOCUS. IS THIS WHAT YOUR SAYING?

If it's out of the depth of field, it's out of the depth of field. Focus applies in all directions, not just a one dimensional plane.

But how can the front of the red ball be INSIDE the depth of field, yet the piece of cloth on the table to its IMMEDIATE left and right NOT? There should be a LINE of sharpness, at least.

just wanted to double check and make sure i stated my observation correctly ........ yup
That's not how it works.
just wanted to double check and make sure i read your statement correct ....... yup

just wanted to check your statement was SOMEWHAT misleading .... yup

If it's out of the depth of field, it's out of the depth of field. Focus applies in all directions, not just a one dimensional plane.
ahhhhhhhhhh ......... and yet again ......... are you suuuuuuuuurrrre it's not a one dimensional plane ( not including the minute distortion from glass shape .... which i'm sure you will throw in there somewhere). what makes up DOF? surely you know, everybody should know this, that's all that is talked about in this forum! in laymens terms ....... dof is the portion of the scene that appears sharp in the image. so, how the hell does one ball get in focus when everything on that same PLANE (or distance) from the lens manage to stay out of focus? hell, i guess my camera is broke more than i thought becuase my depth of field works like this ............... if my focal point is 3' from the lens, EVERYTHING 3' from my lens is in focus, depending on my fstop, from 1" to infinity. my camera doesn't distinguish or single out an object from a scene and then within processing only make that subject appear in focus............... are you tracking yet? do you see where i'm going with this? ....... or do you wish to continue telling me and whoever else is reading this "that's not how it works"?

But how can the front of the red ball be INSIDE the depth of field, yet the piece of cloth on the table to its IMMEDIATE left and right NOT? There should be a LINE of sharpness, at least.
thank you, lafoto.
lol ...... what red ball are you talking about?

looks like a good photo to me, for what you were going for

Most reactions

Back