DOF?

curiouslyadrift

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm having trouble controlling my DOF. I've been using a lens that is f4-5.6... is this my problem? Do I need to get a 1.4 or 1.8 in order to have a small DOF? Or are there other ways besides aperature to control DOF?

Aperture and focal length control DOF.

If you have a longer lens, or use your zoom at full length, you will have a shallower DOF but the best way is to use a lens that has a bigger aperture.

Controling the depth of field as in getting a smaler DOF or knowing what the DOF is going to be?

On older lenses there was a DOF chart on the lens which was handy but there not on newere lenses. I think they are only usable on prime lenses- maybe. But on the internt there are DOF calculators which work it out from apeture and focal length of lens.

http://www.outsight.com/hyperfocal.html

and... with a SLR, you should be able to see it if you're shooting wide open. If you're shooting at a smaller aperature, you'll need a camera (lens) with a DOF preview button.

Good luck!

Christie Photo said:
and... with a SLR, you should be able to see it if you're shooting wide open. If you're shooting at a smaller aperature, you'll need a camera (lens) with a DOF preview button.

Though in practice it's pretty hard to tell through a viewfinder, except if something is really really out of focus.

Most reactions

Back