DOF?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by tehbuffalo, Jun 13, 2006.

1. tehbuffalo

tehbuffalo TPF Noob!

What is it/ how do I use it?

Jake!

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. spike5003

spike5003 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ok dof or depth of field is a functuion of aperature or f stop.. The higher the number the smaller the aperature and the greater the dof. Dof is the amount of the photo in focus from front to back. Things like flower macros look better with a shallow dof therefore wide aperature (low f number) and things like landscapes look better with a wide dof therefore small aperature (high f number). Experiment with DOF because in photography rules are made to be bent or broken. Try it and see what looks best.

4. Ringo

Ringo TPF Noob!

5. DepthAfield

DepthAfield TPF Noob!

Excellent descriptions/links for DOF by everyoneÂ… The only thing I would add is that the plane of focus within a given depth of field extends 1/3rd in front of the subject in focus to 2/3rds behind.

6. fotogenik

fotogenik TPF Noob!

The descriptions for both images at the bottom of the page state they were both done at f3.5, but you don't really explain what the difference in the photo's is. I can tell the difference is what you focused on, however in a tutorial you should probably explain this, especially when the tutorial is being written for a beginner.

Cheers,

7. Ringo

Ringo TPF Noob!

I believe it actually does state the difference in the description under the image. The point I'm getting across with those two images is that just because you know how to use depth of field, doesn't make an image any better, as illustrated by the second image. It's obvious to me, but I've been doing it for quite a while. Thanks for giving a new perspective.

Now, enough thread thievery! :D