Doing a wedding next week.

Negativity is only for weddings. Take professional photos of many other things and if something doesn't turn out you can just reshoot the following day. But screw up a wedding and a red faced bride a sharp knife may be the last thing you ever see.

The principle is, if you need to ask the question then you don't have enough experience to be a primary photographer. Many of these people got into the industry by being an apprentice and bag holder for many years, and not just being a good photographer thinking "maybe I'll do a wedding"

You may be fine, but this is a kind of a warning not to take things lightly.

I understand the responsibility I have in photographing this wedding - nor would I plan to take it lightly.

This couple wasn't even planning on having a photographer and went with just the film crew instead (don't ask me why). Anything I provide is already above their original expectations - I'm not worried about the service I can provide them. It's not like I'm going into this with no clue about anything, the photography side I can handle, it's the other things I'm newer too.

Thanks for the input everyone

Cool. If you pointed that out before I doubt many would have been so negative towards you :)

Good luck.

On a related note - is there a certain iso I should stay under - or is a higher iso alright in lower light level situations (if I can't use flash in the church, for example).

I think I should be able to keep it pretty low since there should be a good amount of natural/artificial light available, plus the lights I'm bringing.

ddeerreekk said:
It's not like I'm going into this with no clue about anything, the photography side I can handle, it's the other things I'm newer too.

On a related note - is there a certain iso I should stay under - or is a higher iso alright in lower light level situations (if I can't use flash in the church, for example).

I think I should be able to keep it pretty low since there should be a good amount of natural/artificial light available, plus the lights I'm bringing.

Kinda getting some conflicting information here... You should really know the limits of your gear if you can "handle the photography side".

Kinda getting some conflicting information here... You should really know the limits of your gear if you can "handle the photography side".

This isn't really about limits, just what the best method is for getting proper exposure when you can't use flash in the venue. There's a handful of different ways to do this and each has it's pro's and con's, wondering if one was better then the other for a wedding application. Obviously it's going to be similar to other event photography where light is an issue.

I thought somebody with more experience then myself may be able to share some of there experience.

Thanks for the help, for anyone that contributed! I'll be sure to post the photos up as soon as I get a chance.

Wish me luck ;)
Derek

I think fokker's point is that if you're asking questions about ISO and exposure, then you probably aren't necessarily ready to be shooting someone's once-in-a-lifetime moment.

That said, the type of camera you are using will be a factor. You haven't told us that, so it's impossible to say what the highest ISO you can get away with shooting... If the high ISO performance is good, you can crank it without generating a lot of noise. If not, then hopefully the lighting is sufficient and you have some fast glass to take advantage of that.

focus on your objectives and be yourself!
I guess that will do it..

good luck!

This isn't really about limits, just what the best method is for getting proper exposure when you can't use flash in the venue. There's a handful of different ways to do this and each has it's pro's and con's, wondering if one was better then the other for a wedding application. Obviously it's going to be similar to other event photography where light is an issue.

I thought somebody with more experience then myself may be able to share some of there experience.

Thanks for the help, for anyone that contributed! I'll be sure to post the photos up as soon as I get a chance.

Wish me luck ;)
Derek

You are going to need fast lenses F1.4 and a camera that can handle noise, shoot raw if they are a bit noisy turn them B+W

The wedding went pretty well - the couple was extremely easy going and completely understanding about everything. The shots turned out pretty well (haven't had a chance to go through them all yet). I'll post some up as soon as I get a chance.

Question - for these photo's should I post them in a new thread on this forum, or in the professional gallery forum? I'm not sure if the beyond the basics is for critiques of photos.

Last time I did one I posted a good pick in the Pro subforum and asked for critique. That was a while ago though not sure.

I'd say post in the People's forum at worst, don't post here. It's not a place for critique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back