Doing an expo... thoughts?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm planning to get a table at an upcoming wedding expo.

Any advice from people who have had success at such events?

As far as what I'm planning so far: It's apparent that female photographers are more popular as wedding photographers, and the trends are lending to more photographer teams as well. I know a few couples who've had success, but since that's not something I can offer, I'm currently working with a girl and grooming her to become a potential business partner in this sense and help me at the table. She's a photographer, and she has potential, but she is pretty new. I have been teaching her.

The other option that was suggested to me: one of my clients expressed interest in helping me run my table. She's a bride whose wedding I've shot and a very social and bubbly girl. She wouldn't be able to show that united photographer front that I'd be going for with the other option, but I can't imagine too many other photographers will have a live testimonial, which could be pretty cool.

And of course I plan to have plenty of products displayed and all that jazz.

Thoughts?

Sounds like having a client that will help with the booth is an excellent option. She will know what to tell the potential brides from a clients perspective and she will probably be very comfortable speaking with the brides to be. The brides are not looking for someone that is going to talk photography speak to them, they want to know they are going to have fantastic images. A commission type of payment may help her remember that she is there to help sell your photography services.

Thoughts?
Your posts generally spark many thoughts, most of which are not helpful.

So...women need the empathetic support of another woman? Regardless of photographic skill? And this is an insurmountable obstacle for male photographers? Enough so that you need to take on a partner whose main asset is that she's a woman?

Perhaps you need to have a little sign around your neck that says you will be happy to talk photography with the father of the bride. I'll bet most FOTB are doing the paying, so you could open your little specialty niche of communications with someone who might begin to understand the nuances of hiring a photographer who actually knows photography. As a side benefit, you could also touch on the fee. You know, in case he might be interested or something.

Just a thought.

there are legitimate reasons why female photographers are wanted over male ones, and why many photography teams are made up of a man and a woman. its simply a providing a service that is wanted.
my wife did all of the pre-wedding shots with the bride, which involved a lot of dressing and un-dressing of the bride and bridesmaids...something not every group of women would be comfortable with being done by a man, regardless of photographic talent. in our husband/wife team experience, when given a choice, they chose my wife for those shots every. single. time.

would they have been ok with getting those shots if it had been just me? i dont know. maybe, maybe not.
maybe it would have affected how they moved around and i wouldnt have gotten as many shots as my wife did, maybe it would have made no difference at all.
i have no idea, because when given the choice between a man being in there and a woman, they always picked my wife.
if one person in the brides group was uncomfortable with a man being in the room with them, then it was worth having my wife there to do it instead.
nothing wrong with giving clients options.

Some thoughts, and questions come to mind.

Have you went to expos before or are you planning this blind? Just going to some as a spectator will give a lot of insight.

In my experience there is no popularity contest between male and female photogs and Ive been part of a LOT of weddings, catering for over 10 years sometimes more than 30 a year. All kinds of photogs out there, young old female male, fat and skinny even.

Popularity maybe in the eye of the beholder so perhaps your over thinking this. I kindof like your strategy as it were.

Good luck with the sales, Im sure you'll be fine.

Popularity maybe in the eye of the beholder so perhaps your over thinking this.
Presumably there is a spectrum of potential customers. Some just want the touchy-feely kind of vibe (the photos being irrelevant), some might want to talk primarily about the cost (framed enlargements, gift sets, albums, etc., and there might be a few who begin to judge a photographer by the product he/she is producing. Take along some outstanding photographs, and you'll draw their interest.

Last edited:
Thanks to you guys with helpful advice.

My knowledge is based on the experience of other photographers in my community. Based on what I've learned, brides prefer having a female photographer over a male when given the choice. It's just the way it is sometimes, and I'd rather take advantage of that than just deal with it.

My decision to diversify the staff of my business, I think if executed well, can help to grow my client base.

But the idea of having a past client tabling with me intrigued me and I mostly wanted feedback on that aspect. An in-person testimony could be powerful, but it could also be strange. And I would have to present it in a way that makes sense.

I've tabled for other things before, but not a wedding expo. I know friends who've done a few of them, and plan to rely on their experience and expertise when it comes to setting up my table. And if I get the chance, I would definitely like to check out similar expos before doing my own.

Most reactions

Back