Doing what the Universe is telling me I should do

Dragondog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all --- Greetings and Salutations from Portland, OR

This is more of a calling than a thought out career decision. I am not new to photography. My father was a hobbyist with a darkroom in the basement. I never went into the darkroom much; it was dad's domain. I never spent any time in a darkroom. I loved to take pictures but never got around to the developing part. Many rolls of film went undeveloped and I never learned from my mistakes. Owing great gratitude to the instant feedback of digital, I have become proficient and prolific.

Several months ago, a friend asked me to take pictures at a video shoot that he was doing. Some of those pictures were seen by just a few people and before I knew it, quite a few people were asking me to take pictures for them. A few months later, another friend told me that one of the events that she helps to organize monthly was looking for a new photographer. Without actually being officially asked, I arrived prepared. It was a good move. They had called 4 photogs. 1 showed up and was unprepared (as in asked me if I had a spare SD card - I use CF). I secured a monthly gig and more kept coming. I get calls and requests about twice a week, my cards disappear at every event I attend. I have a built in niche in a large community/network where I am known and trusted, and am finding it easy to make gigs appear. I love what I do because I know my subject well.

My possible downfall in pursuing that which won't let me stop is my lack of business knowledge. The numbers. Marketing seems to come naturally to me.

I came to this forum seeking advice and guidance from professionals who have been doing this much longer than I. I welcome feedback of all sorts.

They call me CJ
https://www.facebook.com/DragondogX

the first step before taking any money for your work, if you haven't already, is to set up your business (and thats exactly what your FB page implies) as an actual business. Tax ID number and/or business license registered with your business name or DBA with your county tax office. (as required by your state)
you will have to file and pay sales taxes on your income (yes, photography businesses pay sales tax on their income, even if they don't sell a product. you sell time and skill) this will be paid to the state quarterly. at tax time, your business will pay income tax based on how much money you made.

the best thing you can do is to talk to a local tax consultant in your area. they can give you the latest legal regulations and make sure your business is filing the proper tax forms and paying the proper amount of taxes for your state. we do all of ours online. just make sure you print out all payment receipts in case the tax office "loses" records of the taxes you paid and they send you a bill.

Welcome aboard CJ!

Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the site. You will find tons of helpful advice in the business district.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back