Donating! continuous studio lighting w/umbrellas and bulbs

Oh how this thread has turned since I last opened it. Seriously Pix, and Robbins you guys are awesome!!

So I don't meet the active member requirement. I do come on here often and read through threads, just don't post much. I'm currently in college and just started a portraits class and I've been looking into different inexpensive lighting kits because I will need one for this class. Being a college student paying for classes and supplies can be difficult at times but I manage to make things work. I would like to be considered for this donation. And would be willing when I'm done with this semester to donate them to another person in need of a lighting kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all righty then..
this is it folks. me and the wife are hopefully going to wrap this up this weekend.
we will start reviewing applicants tomorrow, and will continue through the weekend until we have reached consensus.
tomorrow and Saturday will probably be the last days to submit a post of interest. please be advised that if you have not followed the directions as laid out in the original post, your submission will automatically be passed over. Not to be a douche or anything, but we do not feel like we are asking for much as far as the submissions go... so those that choose to not thoroughly read and properly submit their post will not be considered. If anyone has issue with this policy, feel free to PM me with your concerns.
(it wont change anything, but you concerns will be duly noted)
I will start the review tomorrow morning, and wait until Sunday for the final decision in case there are any last minute stragglers.
(its our 16th wedding anniversary tomorrow [21 years together] so... after the wife gets home from dropping the kid off at school I might not actually be available to start the process for at least 10 minutes)
after that though, I will start going back through the submissions.

This will be my last (or maybe second or third to last...I dunno yet) appeal to anyone who does not currently have a portrait lighting setup but is interested in doing that sort of photography.
just to sum up some bullet points.
doesn't matter if you shoot film or digital. (these don't sync to camera anyway)
doesn't matter what brand of camera you shoot. (these don't sync to camera anyway)
doesn't matter what your skill level is. (these don't sync to camera anyway)
doesn't matter what kind of dog you have. (these don't sync to camera anyway)

if there's anyone left that is interested, please read the initial post and submit your post accordingly.
with any luck, we will have a recipient picked out Sunday and maybe even in the mail as early as Monday.

So If I have 2 sb600 already in our of the running?

I would just love to be able to see how the light gals on subjects before I release the shutter.

So If I have 2 sb600 already in our of the running?

I would just love to be able to see how the light gals on subjects before I release the shutter.

do you have stands and modifiers for the flashes?
on camera flashes for fill light is different than using flashes for portrait work.
I can honestly say that if you have the equipment needed to use your flashes for portrait work, IE: stands, umbrellas or softboxes, etc etc...then in all reality you already have a better setup than these lights. the ability to make power adjustments is a pretty significant advantage to these interfits.

if you dont have stands and umbrellas and such, and your flashes are just for on camera use...
I would say go ahead and put your name in the hat. the requirements for your post are the same as everyone else's so...read the OP and post accordingly.

you've got two days to git 'er done!

I'll go ahead and get on the bottom of the list. I currently don't shoot people but I would be willing to if I had more than a speedlight and Clorox bottle diffuser. Lazy lobster has a pair of cheap constant lights but they will go to college with him when he returns.

I'll go ahead and get on the bottom of the list. I currently don't shoot people but I would be willing to if I had more than a speedlight and Clorox bottle diffuser. Lazy lobster has a pair of cheap constant lights but they will go to college with him when he returns.

pix or it doesnt exist!

pix or it doesnt exist!

As you wish:

20150910_220425.jpg

I bought it at a local camera shop before they closed. It is more like a milk jug than a Clorox bottle, but either description fits.

pix or it doesnt exist!

As you wish:

View attachment 107906

I bought it at a local camera shop before they closed. It is more like a milk jug than a Clorox bottle, but either description fits.

I think he means some of your portraits. But I maybe wrong. ,;)

pix or it doesnt exist!

As you wish:

View attachment 107906

I think he means some of your portraits. But I maybe wrong. ,;)
"Clorox bottle diffuser" was changed to red. I have one or two people photos on Flickr, as well.

anniversary bump!

hey, did I mention these lights would work for doing video too?

Is it too late ? If not, I'll send some portrait photos tonight when I get home. I really have a need and think these may work out perfect for my environment (basement).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1442062197349.jpg

Ferret says there is still time to get in on this. Dog concurs.

If you feel you meet the criteria and want to be considered for this, post a few of your portrait shots in this thread along with a brief explanation of how you feel lights would help improve your photography and/or tanning.
(In case anyone has missed this part.)

That was very cool what you did for that family.

I love portrait photography because I love people and honestly, more of a painter than photographer. Generally, my camera is a tool or more like a sketch book. I have never been paid to do photos and donate a fair amount of time to photograph for charitable or church related events. As you can see by the photo's, I am not a professional. The biggest thing going for me is the understanding of composition. At many of the events, you get to know the families and frequently asked to do family portraits. Usually have to turn them down due to the absence of a light setup. Craigslist has been disappointing as far as cost but still look daily for a good deal.

Obviously, filling the subject with light is key when shooting indoors. I have been watching videos for the last month on studio lighting, soft boxes, and techniques. The internet is an amazing resource. Anyway, here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSC_0743.JPG
    DSC_0743.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0734.JPG
    DSC_0734.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0112112.JPG
    DSC_0112112.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0168168.JPG
    DSC_0168168.JPG