Don't be a "sausage"...stand out from the crowd

PeterToronto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a copy of my most recent blog post. I hope that you find some value in it.

My mother had a nickname for people who were overly influenced by fashion and culture trends...she called them "sausages". A series of non descript and identical links in an unending chain of mass produced predictability. Similarly, some of our photographic tendencies occasionally suffer from the sausage syndrome. Let me explain.

If you want your images to be memorable, they need to leave an impression with the viewer by standing out from the crowd. If there are a hundred studios, or a thousand photographers, for that matter, in your area, ask yourself, "What makes my work, or my approach, any different?" It doesn't necessarily need to conform to the basic rules of composition or colour, nor does it have to fit with current photographic trends. It simply has to be an extension of your own personal artistic expression. Conforming to what is currently popular may get you images noticed today, but it will not help them to be remembered in the long run. Keep in mind, what is popular is not always memorable, and what is memorable is not always popular.

If you would like to read more of my thoughts on and experiences with photography, check out the website listed below. If not, I hope that you enjoyed the read.

Peace
Peter

peter anthony PHOTOGRAPHY - Home

Hmm, okay. All is well when it's said, but when it's done; as in you posting your photography, I'll keep this in mind. And never let you forget it! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back