Don't know if this is "beyone the basics", but...

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone know or know where I can read up on how to properly use the metering system in the EOS 650? I read a manual I found online, but I still don't know how to properly use it...

There is no proper way to use an evaluative metre (or matrix as it's called on Nikons). The amount of calculation work the camera does in body based on all sorts of factors like focal length focus point, focus point position on the frame just to name a few makes knowing reliably what the camera will do difficult.

It should also have a spot metre and or a centre weighted average metre. Both of these metres try to turn the picture to middle grey (18% grey or colour #888888 on the 24 bit RGB set) A spot metre takes a reading only from the dead centre (if you have one) and the centre weighted gives about 60% weight to the middle area of the frame.

As for how to use this information, this varies wildly depending on a given situation.

If the camera's manual is not enough for you you could track down the Magic Lantern guide book for your camera. I tried a search for your particular camera but I couldn't find it so it might take a little more searching but they are good books that expand on what your camera's manual has to say and give you alot more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back