Don't listen to Facebook - they know nothing

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Don't listen to feedback or likes on your photos on Facebook. Chances are your facebook is friends and family and as a result (for most people) that means they are not going to be mostly photographers nor artists. They'll love blurry out of focus shots of kids and fawn over snapshots whilst at the same time ignoring better quality photos or simply under-appreciating them.

Don't listen to people on forums either, they are mostly focused around tech talk so whilst they might know their aperture and shutter speed and how fast light falls off from the flash; they simply won't understand art. Unless the photo is technically "perfect" according to theories of exposure it will fail; artistic ideas and concepts are simply not welcome.

Don't listen to artists either; most who are any good have trained in art. They've learned to not like from a gut feeling, but instead to appreciate the inner meaning of artistry as defined by theories. As such they've no freedom of expression, but instead operate within rules and boundaries defined by art professors.

Don't listen to your mentor - your peers - your friends - your enemies - that random due at the end of the street - your wife etc......

Search for it and you'll find many lines written with justification as to who you shouldn't listen to, often written by people who by writing those words and by implication mean for you to listen to them. Indeed many who offer their opinion, no matter how detailed or insightful have that added view that theirs is important; important enough for them to write and say and that you should listen.

So in this sea of conflicting information - of conflicting groups of people; each one trying to define you and your photography who should you listen to? Well if you listen to me I'll give my impression.

Firstly no matter what is said and no matter who says it; if someone takes the time to give you their opinion of your work then you should be polite and thank them. It is manners to thank them for their time, no matter if they hate or love it. You are thanking them for their time, their attention and their shared viewpoint.

Secondly you have to decide for yourself if what they said is worth taking to heart; if its worth listening to properly and taking heed. Sadly that's the truth of the matter; there is no all encompassing answer as to who you should and shouldn't listen to in life; you've got to be mature (no matter your age nor shoe size) and make that choice for yourself.

I, personally, find some of the following ideas/criteria helpful in determining if I take to heart what someone has said about my photography;

1) Why. Have they told you why they hold the viewpoint that they do; why its overexposed; why they don't like it; why its composed badly; why its not good; why its fantastic.
Sometimes you'll have to ask and invite people to expand upon their initial opinion; other times they'll give it freely. The key is understanding it, putting aside your own likes and dislikes and simply inviting yourself to view things through a different pair of eyes.

The intent here is to understand what the other party is seeing; to put yourself in to their shoes for a tiny moment and seeing if you agree or disagree with their viewpoint.

2) Are they any good themselves? For some this is all that matters, no matter what is said if the person who says it is good that's enough. Now its a good criteria, but to me its not the be-all and the end-all. There are many who are fantastically skilled, but poor at conveying that to others; similarly there are those who know all the theory ins and outs, but who fail to pull it all together in their own work.
So by all means have a look at their work if they choose to share it; at the very least it will give you an insight into how they see the world. Into how their perceptions and choices shape their photography. If you find that you really like what they produce, if you can honestly admire their work then take their words to heart - if you don't like what you see then by all means listen to their works, but temper that against establishing if they are working toward your idea of a good shot or simply trying to follow their own style. Clearly if its the latter chances are you might not want to take all their advice to heart as its taking you in a direction you might not wish to take (at the same time be thankful, now you know a few ideas or choices that you might not want to make when in the field).

3) Is what they say backed up by others/science/studyetc.... Even if the individual might not be amazing nor a highly important person; if what they say is backed up by other sources relevant to your work then that adds a degree of credibility to what they say; but of course only if those other sources measure up in your view.

4) Does what they say sound like and indeed produce a more pleasing result that you are happy with, more so than your original conception?
This is one of the hardest things, for to consider this you must first disconnect yourself from your creation. You must be able to step back; to view it with impartial and new eyes and to really listen and consider what is said about your work. Often it might make you think less of your work, that you've in some way failed; well maybe you made some mistakes, by intent, or accident or ignorance - and that's ok. That is perfectly fine and normal and not anything to be embarrassed about. You must learn strength of character enough to admit your own failings and faults in your creations - because its only by doing so that you'll be able to work to improve them in the future.

I would also say that you should never slave yourself to a single group nor voice. Breadth is the key to advance and thus you should always be receptive to alternative viewpoints; to new ideas, new concepts and new creative ideals. Because it is only by doing so that you yourself will learn a breadth in your skills; and from there that empowers you with creative choice. You can only choose when you know the options, if you don't you're just slaving yourself to ignorance. By opening your mind to new ideas and viewpoints you are taking a big step toward both advancing your skill and finding your style (remembering that such things are not static, they will change through time and situation).

In closing I say to summarise; acknowledge all and respect the views and opinions expressed about your creative works. From there take the time to put yourself into their shoes - view with different eyes your work and from there make your own mind up about what you do and don't agree with.

Remember also that its ok to disagree; its ok to ask further questions to gain a deeper understanding of another persons views. Engage in discussion, respect their viewpoint ,but also don't be afraid to challenge it. Sometimes the more elaborated a discussion becomes the more you'll learn and develop.

)ps new try writing long winded complicated things when half asleep - one loses steam after half way through; so I hope my rambling makes some sense and I probably left out some things that I meant to say.

I'm sorry, I was told not to listen to you.

Hee hee.......... good post, thanks.

Uhoh. First Lew, now Overread. Is it contagious? :D

To hear comments or criticisms, or critiques... and to know how to react to them, requires a certain level of awareness, self-confidence and maturity. Self-awareness is different from self-delusion, although they do seem so similar at times. The first implies a strategy of action, a plan, an intent, and a set of choices. The second arrives at the end-result by chance, and may or may not be able to reproduce the image. Giving helpful comments to the person in the second camp is a waste of breath - they may not have the means to even understand what you are telling them. And yet, most comments are not "helpful" but are in effect affirmations of the link between the commentor and the person showing the image or the work.

If we look at Overread's comments and Lew's comments on critique - we see some common elements - having a clear vision of what YOU are trying to accomplish, using the various tools of the trade to bring that vision to reality, and then to present it in a way that allows people to react to your creation and give feedback on whether you have succeeded in letting other see what you saw.

What we have seen with many posters that started as neophytes in TPF, learned from the comments made on their images, and have evolved their skills to the point that there;s not much that can be offered in a constructive, progressive way, other than say "Wow!", because these images are at a level which makes it hard to give meaning ideas for improvement. I know for myself, I have evolved several elements of my photography (lighting, flash use) that I was quite oblivious to prior to joining the forum, and now can say reasonably confidently that I've got a pretty good grasp on at least the basic techniques. That goes to show, that when taken in the right spirit, the comments can motivate improvement in the right direction.

So Overread, now that you've had some sleep, would you change anything of what you wrote? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm SO glad you said that...

...because if I said it, I would get yelled at.

:lol:

I'm SO glad you said that...

...because if I said it, I would get yelled at.

:lol:

Yes its very contagious - Mana will probably have it next ;)

Also it wasn't sparked by Lew's thread; instead it was one where someone was talking about how some of their photos were loved on facebook whilst others weren't, but those that weren't were loved in other places.

I enjoyed your post Overread. nicely written

just had to say it...

eta: I rarely use fb. I don't post pictures there. Hardly anyone from my fb friends even knows I'm interested in photography, actually, they hardly know anything about me in the last few years, because, as I said, I just don't use it anymore.
And... even if I start posting there I wouldn't be thinking about if someone liked or didn't my picture there

Last edited:
:/ does it matter? Who goes on fb and ever ask for a cc anyway lol.

I don't care if people "like" my photos. If they do, great. Perfect; love it. If they don't, I couldn't give a rat's ass.

If I like a photo I post, that's the only thing that matters. All other opinions pretty much mean dick. I don't post photos on Facebook for critique. I post them simply because I want to share them.

And to the idea that Facebook friends aren't photographers, a good number of mine are, and very good ones, at that...

If you're focusing on facebook alone in the thread then you've only read the title not the post itself ;)
(and yes I was generalising about FB friends on the assumption that normal people out-populate photographers ;P)

would you consider to change a title.....maybe?

because it really can't be misleading and your post is too good to be overlooked...

just saying...

Eh if they don't read the post its their loss - asides I don't think I could convey what is in the post in the title and keep it catchy and short at the same time.

But if I don't use facebook how will I know what 80's sitcom character I am?!

i look at my facebook likes, but mostly who they are coming from specifically. Beyond that, not so much. Always look at the source. At the same time, know your audience as has been said on here (lot of wisdom in that).
If your audience is the type of people on your facebook, well there ya go. Just don't look to them for massive improvement.

I wish I was strong willed enough to be like "I don't care if anyone likes my photos. All that matters is if I like them *z-snap*" but honestly, I can't not care if people like my photos. I liken (ha) it to my own horribly morbid, flawed philosophy that when I die, it doesn't matter how I thought of myself. Whoopty freakin doo if I thought I was a badass. The only thing that matters is the legacy I've left both physically and in people's minds.

My mind is in a constant flux of "Am I any good or am I just deluded?"

Most reactions

Back