Don't you hate it when...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TBAM, Oct 13, 2008.

1. TBAM

TBAM TPF Noob!

You've gone to an event (such as a corporate day at the races for work), and have taken shots all day including portraits, group shots, candid shots, etc. etc.

Then when they see the result and are blown away they say....

"I've got to get one of those cameras".

Now, I know that this is a compliment, even indirect, so I am flattered.
    However I can't help but feel the Camera has been given more credit than the person taking the photos.

I know my point is a bit whiney, but what about situations you've just gone GRRRR at?

2. beaminge36

beaminge36 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Haha, i hear you. My most annoying "GRRRR" moment that seems to repeat itself over and over are "Dude, sick camera. Let me try it?" ... if i decide to trust them usually the follow up question is "Why is it so dark?" or "Why is it so bright?". Its on manual dip****. Haha, nice venting post.

Nick

3. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

Recently, I've seen some photographers take ONE picture, then check them on their LCD. They do this per photo they take. Is it just me?

We're talking about dSLRs here. I think they had it on "auto" and would review each of their shot.

BTW, these photographers are taking pictures of events. I'm a banquet server so I see this from time to time.

4. Photog

Photog TPF Noob!

I don't know, I often review after a shot, not the shot itself, but the histogram on the screen, just to check exposure.

5. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

Actually, I do that too. But the people I'm talking about reviews EACH shot. Even in the same lighting condition. Oh well. I shouldn't really judge.

6. BTilson

BTilson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha that's one of mine too. I've had that happen several times. For that very reason. I shoot manual 99.9% of the time.

7. debvath

debvath TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just recently bought a new (used) camera. I found myself reviewing shoots. It's a good thing I did. I was having trouble with my shutter and it was random. So I was about to take it back before the time period was up.

8. Chewbecca

Chewbecca TPF Noob!

Uh, I review almost EVERY shot. Once I know I have exposure down, I zoom in on my shots to check for focus/sharpness.
    I do this MOSTLY with action shots. But I look at my LCD a lot.

What is wrong with looking at the LCD?

9. pm63

pm63 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha, I hear you. It makes me want to slap people in the face when they imply my camera has something to do with the quality of the photographs.

We just have to learn to live with it.

10. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    ooh I'll swap you my disposable camera for your shiny SLR then please ;)

Cameras are a part of making the image, that is why we pay so much for them - but of course like any good tool, one must have the skills to use it well.

As for chimping (looking at the LCD after every shot) I tend to do this only when taking the first shot in a light condition to make sure the exposure is right - which us why I have the display set to show my histogram. I don't bother with checking sharpness since the LCD is a bad display of this - and many a softer shot can be acceptable sharp at reduced sizes, no sense wasting a good shot because its not tacksharp.

11. Chewbecca

Chewbecca TPF Noob!

The LCD on my D300 is spot on with showing focus and sharpness when I zoom in, though. However, it is NOT spot-on with exposure all the time.
    I have the histogram that shows up on half and the picture on half.
    But as I said, it's not always spot on with the exposure, so I have to see the picture as well.:mrgreen:

12. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    true - its just that focus and sharpness are things that I can't directly control - with wildlife you aim, focuse and shoot - if its sharp its sharp if its not its not - I don't get a reshoot, though I can check and alter my exposure directly for the next shot.
    If I were in a studio or situation where I could reshoot the same shot then I probably would review sharpness on the LCD - it just takes too long with wildlife to zoom all the way in and check ;)