Don't you hate it when...

TBAM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
You've gone to an event (such as a corporate day at the races for work), and have taken shots all day including portraits, group shots, candid shots, etc. etc.

Then when they see the result and are blown away they say....

"I've got to get one of those cameras".

Now, I know that this is a compliment, even indirect, so I am flattered.
However I can't help but feel the Camera has been given more credit than the person taking the photos.

I know my point is a bit whiney, but what about situations you've just gone GRRRR at?

Haha, i hear you. My most annoying "GRRRR" moment that seems to repeat itself over and over are "Dude, sick camera. Let me try it?" ... if i decide to trust them usually the follow up question is "Why is it so dark?" or "Why is it so bright?". Its on manual dip****. Haha, nice venting post.

Nick

Recently, I've seen some photographers take ONE picture, then check them on their LCD. They do this per photo they take. Is it just me?

We're talking about dSLRs here. I think they had it on "auto" and would review each of their shot.

BTW, these photographers are taking pictures of events. I'm a banquet server so I see this from time to time.

Recently, I've seen some photographers take ONE picture, then check them on their LCD. They do this per photo they take. Is it just me?

I don't know, I often review after a shot, not the shot itself, but the histogram on the screen, just to check exposure.

I don't know, I often review after a shot, not the shot itself, but the histogram on the screen, just to check exposure.

Actually, I do that too. But the people I'm talking about reviews EACH shot. Even in the same lighting condition. Oh well. I shouldn't really judge.

Haha, i hear you. My most annoying "GRRRR" moment that seems to repeat itself over and over are "Dude, sick camera. Let me try it?" ... if i decide to trust them usually the follow up question is "Why is it so dark?" or "Why is it so bright?". Its on manual dip****. Haha, nice venting post.

Nick

Haha that's one of mine too. I've had that happen several times. For that very reason. I shoot manual 99.9% of the time.

I just recently bought a new (used) camera. I found myself reviewing shoots. It's a good thing I did. I was having trouble with my shutter and it was random. So I was about to take it back before the time period was up.

Uh, I review almost EVERY shot. Once I know I have exposure down, I zoom in on my shots to check for focus/sharpness.
I do this MOSTLY with action shots. But I look at my LCD a lot.

What is wrong with looking at the LCD?

Haha, I hear you. It makes me want to slap people in the face when they imply my camera has something to do with the quality of the photographs.

We just have to learn to live with it.

Haha, I hear you. It makes me want to slap people in the face when they imply my camera has something to do with the quality of the photographs.

We just have to learn to live with it.

ooh I'll swap you my disposable camera for your shiny SLR then please ;)

Cameras are a part of making the image, that is why we pay so much for them - but of course like any good tool, one must have the skills to use it well.

As for chimping (looking at the LCD after every shot) I tend to do this only when taking the first shot in a light condition to make sure the exposure is right - which us why I have the display set to show my histogram. I don't bother with checking sharpness since the LCD is a bad display of this - and many a softer shot can be acceptable sharp at reduced sizes, no sense wasting a good shot because its not tacksharp.

ooh I'll swap you my disposable camera for your shiny SLR then please ;)

Cameras are a part of making the image, that is why we pay so much for them - but of course like any good tool, one must have the skills to use it well.

As for chimping (looking at the LCD after every shot) I tend to do this only when taking the first shot in a light condition to make sure the exposure is right - which us why I have the display set to show my histogram. I don't bother with checking sharpness since the LCD is a bad display of this - and many a softer shot can be acceptable sharp at reduced sizes, no sense wasting a good shot because its not tacksharp.

The LCD on my D300 is spot on with showing focus and sharpness when I zoom in, though. However, it is NOT spot-on with exposure all the time.
I have the histogram that shows up on half and the picture on half.
But as I said, it's not always spot on with the exposure, so I have to see the picture as well.:mrgreen:

true - its just that focus and sharpness are things that I can't directly control - with wildlife you aim, focuse and shoot - if its sharp its sharp if its not its not - I don't get a reshoot, though I can check and alter my exposure directly for the next shot.
If I were in a studio or situation where I could reshoot the same shot then I probably would review sharpness on the LCD - it just takes too long with wildlife to zoom all the way in and check ;)

true - its just that focus and sharpness are things that I can't directly control - with wildlife you aim, focuse and shoot - if its sharp its sharp if its not its not - I don't get a reshoot, though I can check and alter my exposure directly for the next shot.
If I were in a studio or situation where I could reshoot the same shot then I probably would review sharpness on the LCD - it just takes too long with wildlife to zoom all the way in and check ;)

Oh!!! I didn't realize you had wildlife photography in mind.
Well, I surely wouldn't have time to check for focus and sharpness either if I were shooting wildlife. Those are the shots you either get or miss. And you don't want to miss them, so you shoot what you can when you can and how you can.:mrgreen:

... I can't help but feel the Camera has been given more credit than the person taking the photos.

People walk up to Lance Armstrong as say "Sweet bike!"

Photographers are the worst offenders in my opinion. It seems to me that many of the posts at this and other photo sites imply that gear and process are more significant than the photographer. There's no way the ignorant masses ;) are going to change their attitude if photogs can't.

Keep taking shots that blow them away, and eventually they do start mentioning the photographer. :)

What is wrong with looking at the LCD?

Nothing. Use the techniques, features, and tools that work best for you. What works for one photographer may not be the best way for the next. The vast majority of the world will judge your photographs purely on their finished appearance, but photo geeks sometimes come up with little contests; usually oriented around the way they like to work. The rules of these contests vary, but common ones are: no chimping, limited to 36 shots, highest lens price tag wins, dials must be fiddled with fingers, biggest print wins, most resolution wins, oldest process wins, newest gear wins, etc... Make up your own photography contest rules! Everybody else is. ;) But don't let the little contests get in the way of creating good photos.

Most reactions

Back