Don't you just love "What settings should I use" posts?

My favorite response to the "What Settings" question is Setting in a comfortable easy chair reading a copy of Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson in their hands. Oh yeah, have a good light for reading and a beverage of your choice close at hand.

Are you suggesting that message board/forum behavior be a determining factor for allowing procreation? :lol:

Actually, that's not a bad idea... I think you're onto something here!

While I agree that everyone has a right to ask the occasionally dumb question (cause that's how ya learn), I hate a) questions that have already been answered 1000x on these forums, and b) the aforementioned super-vague question ("My camera is doing _____. HELP!"). I wish those people would post a photo with exif info more often. In the words of Jerry MacGuire "Help me help you"

Not everyone in the world has perfect knowledge about everything there is in the world. The RC guys get fed up with the "I'm new, what airplane should I get?" The sim racers at my particular choice of PC sim racing get fed up with the constant "Why isn't there real cars and real tracks in this sim?" etc, etc, etc... You just won't get away from this stuff, just like the "Which dSLR should I get?" It will never go away.

No, Not everyone in the world has perfect knowledge. I'm an example of that, I'm just a beginner in photography, and on these forums... And RC Aircraft, and Cars for that matter ;) (Well, OK, Intermediate in A/C, but not flown for many years, so need to relearn some stuff).

However I'm fully capable of using google and the search features of various forums to look for answers to my stupid questions BEFORE I ask them. Asking questions is fine, but if you look at the beginners forum here, every second question is "What camera should I buy" or "What settings should I use", with the same answers.

Really, even for a beginner, it's not bloody hard to lurk for a while and use search functions to gain knowledge, rather than repeating the same crap day in, day out....

Really, even for a beginner, it's not bloody hard to lurk for a while and use search functions to gain knowledge, rather than repeating the same crap day in, day out....

I have to agree, I am on some other boards that if you ask a question without searching you will be eaten alive...

If you want to know what DSLR to buy the question has been asked a million times.... Most questions have been.

For example: The other day I was curious about filters, UV filters to be precise, but all filters in general. By doing a quick search through the forum I was able to get all my questions answered, and then some. I didn't have to ask any questions.

My favorite response to the "What Settings" question is Setting in a comfortable easy chair reading a copy of Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson in their hands. Oh yeah, have a good light for reading and a beverage of your choice close at hand.

That, by far, is the best answer.

It is not so much taking the time to answer questions for those that are new to photography that is a problem, it is just that so many newbies seem to want everything spoon fed to them. They seem unwilling to actually do a little research or get a few books and learn the fundamentals of photography or even learn a bit of the history of photography. So many seem to want to run before they can walk. Learning the basics of proper exposure, how light works, and so on, is laying the foundation of knowledge which everything else will be built on.

Believe me if I could eat some of the members on this forum I'd be much happier. There are literally countless threads (look at the "is the 18-200mm a good choice" thread that is currently running) that have been had time and time before. I think if you're in the beyond the basics or the equipment forum you shouldn't ask dumb questions without searching.

Beginners on the other hand (and this will sound harsh and unfriendly) shouldn't be coddled. If someone asks "what settings..." they should not get a direct answer, but instead be pointed to a resource. Now that book may not be the best start, but even the wikipedia entry on exposure or something would do. If they understand then they learn. If you spoon feed then they don't.

As I told my ELEC1000 class at the beginning of the semester I will not answer any questions that start with "what" only those that start with "how" or "why".

Beginers should do someof there own research on the net to understand the principles of photography. After having research if there are lingering questions then ask them in this forum something along the lines of "I have read a conflicting opinions about the D200 vs the 40D. I like this and that about the D200 and this and that about the 40D, does anyone here have experience using these cameras if so what aould you sya there benefits/drawbacks are?" as oppossed to "what camera should I buy?"

I dont think people are attacking beginers on this fgorum but I do think there are so many beginers asking the same question that people here are bored of answering a question that could be answered with the smallest amount of research on this site or the internet. Furtheremore I feel this forum is being taken over by "noobs" which is taking away from the value of this forum to intermediate and experienced photographers with solid questions.

Beginners on the other hand (and this will sound harsh and unfriendly) shouldn't be coddled. If someone asks "what settings..." they should not get a direct answer, but instead be pointed to a resource. Now that book may not be the best start, but even the wikipedia entry on exposure or something would do. If they understand then they learn. If you spoon feed then they don't.

And this is the way I tend to answer those questions when I do. This thread was just about poking a little and having fun. It was not meant to be mean spirited but on the internets, no one can hear you scream.

As a beginner I can tell you that it is sometimes difficult to find what you are looking for. I always do a full search for what I am looking for, and then spend a while reading through threads that just don't give me what I need. This thread being a prime example. If I were to search for 18-200mm lenses, this thread would pop up along with many others that have nothing to do with the lense.

With that aside, what camera is better, Nikon or Canon?

...jk. ;)

caspertodd said:
This thread being a prime example. If I were to search for 18-200mm lenses, this thread would pop up along with many others that have nothing to do with the lense.
Fair call, but remember this forum isn't the only internet resource either...

http://tinyurl.com/63hspy

The search is easily narrowable by adding brandnames to the search, and I got all info I needed for my purchase using similar methods.

With that aside, what camera is better, Nikon or Canon?

For my needs, Pentax. And I decided that through research, reviews and lurking, not through asking the same question on a gazillion forums without reading other posts and averaging the answers.

:wink:

Yeah, if it has been asked time and time again, it has got to get old. One could definitely spend hours researching and Googling what they need, but then isn't that the reason for the beginners area in this forum? Why even have a beginners area since there is Google? Probably because the people on this forum look up to some of the photographers here, and we have seen some of the work here, so we respect what suggestions you have regardless of what Joe Bob and Googled page number 4 told us.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back