Don't you just love "What settings should I use" posts?

Fair call, but remember this forum isn't the only internet resource either...

http://tinyurl.com/63hspy

The search is easily narrowable by adding brandnames to the search, and I got all info I needed for my purchase using similar methods.
On the other hand, I want to know how to stop motion in my photos. So I search google.....

google search: photography stopping motion

.... and I get nothing but stop motion animation. So, I come to a specific site that has to do with photography and ask about how to stop motion at a sports event or biking event for example and I'm told "search".

Or, I have done some reading and I have read that the shutter speed is what stops motion. So, I set a fast shutter speed, then my photos turn out extremely dark. As a beginner, I have no idea why. Thus I come here and ask and am told "search".

Searching isn't always the answer. Many times, searching can lead to more confusing information than the original confusion.

(The above is a hypothetical situation. I do not want to know how to stop motion. Already know...)

On the other hand, I want to know how to stop motion in my photos. So I search google.....

google search: photography stopping motion

.... and I get nothing but stop motion animation. So, I come to a specific site that has to do with photography and ask about how to stop motion at a sports event or biking event for example and I'm told "search".

Or, I have done some reading and I have read that the shutter speed is what stops motion. So, I set a fast shutter speed, then my photos turn out extremely dark. As a beginner, I have no idea why. Thus I come here and ask and am told "search".

Searching isn't always the answer. Many times, searching can lead to more confusing information than the original confusion.

(The above is a hypothetical situation. I do not want to know how to stop motion. Already know...)

Try this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=photography+freezing+motion

Stop motion is a particular form of video/motion picture photography.

Yeah, if it has been asked time and time again, it has got to get old. One could definitely spend hours researching and Googling what they need, but then isn't that the reason for the beginners area in this forum? Why even have a beginners area since there is Google? Probably because the people on this forum look up to some of the photographers here, and we have seen some of the work here, so we respect what suggestions you have regardless of what Joe Bob and Googled page number 4 told us.

Except when you have noobs answering every "what camera should I buy" question with the camera type and brand they own, because they own it. Rarely do I post in those threads and when I do it's when some one says "I've been looking around at brand X and think I have decided to go with this, is there any reason not to?" or "I really want to get into this type of photography, what camera should I buy?" And then it's a reply more along the lines of telling them about what's involved with that type of photography and what they'll need to know to accomplish it, because I'm sure half the time they expect to pick up a camera and pull off what they see in the photos.

I usually skip those threads since I dont know enough info to really help them, but you know what, all snobbery aside, we were all there at one time or another.

And yes a mentor/buddy of mine told me I was asking the wrong question, and yes It forced me to learn.

just skip the thread, why bash anyone for asking a simple question ?

Wow! I can't believe this whole thread. More even I can't believe I'm replying to it. But here's my thought.
Yes sometimes people ask questions that to others seem trivial or "stupid questions" as some has said, but when haven't any of us.
Yes people should look back through post and search for answers on their own, but sometimes the subject they are asking is to complex for their level of experience that they don't know when they have found the answer. And yes sometimes they are just plain lazy.
But what amazes me most is the number of ***holes on here that believe they are so above everyone else that how dare someone ask a question that might help them out.
I have more respect for all of my noobie brother's and sister's who have to ask "stupid questions" than any of you overcritical, condescending jerks who ***** about it.
If you think noobie question threads are stupid...DON'T READ THEM.

Wow! I can't believe this whole thread. More even I can't believe I'm replying to it. But here's my thought.
Yes sometimes people ask questions that to others seem trivial or "stupid questions" as some has said, but when haven't any of us.
Yes people should look back through post and search for answers on their own, but sometimes the subject they are asking is to complex for their level of experience that they don't know when they have found the answer. And yes sometimes they are just plain lazy.
But what amazes me most is the number of ***holes on here that believe they are so above everyone else that how dare someone ask a question that might help them out.
I have more respect for all of my noobie brother's and sister's who have to ask "stupid questions" than any of you overcritical, condescending jerks who ***** about it.

Hey, from an asshole to another asshole- take a hike.

Not stupid, just funny. Especially when you see the exact same thread sitting on top of each other in the forum.

No need to get angry there. I think most people in this thread have been very civil with the exception of a few people who felt like just going off.

It's like anything else in life be it another hobby or a job. People with experience and time in it almost have a right to pick on the little guys here and there. It's not meant to be something that drives people away. I mean after all, if the guys with the experience didn't like the hobby, they wouldn't be helping new people out at all. Every one's been there...it's like an initiation. At least photography isn't like firefighting and police work. The rookies there usually get it really hard.

All things aside, it can be frustrating hearing the same thing over and over again, but everyone vents a little and goes back to answering questions and being generally helpful.

Yeah, I definitely expect to get picked on a little here and there, cause I know I would be doing the same thing. You just have to know not to take anything personal. I definitely think it's a good idea to remind people that the question has been asked, and they should do a search, but I would probably still try to answer their question anyways. As Droberts said, noobs such as myself may not understand that we are asking the same question that has already been asked since we may be less experienced and may not understand the the other answers apply to our particular situation.

:er:

"What should I use to take a picture of my car?"

That's not a good way to start learning. If by some miracle some one can guesstimate a good enough answer, it just lends them a crutch to stand on. Now if the noobs read about the settings and understand how they relate to each other, they can do it correctly and not get angry when some one tells them ISO 400, 1/250, f/5.6, and the picture doesn't turn out because they were competely off.

By the way, I agree with this 100%. This applies to everything. You may eventually learn it if someone keeps telling you the answer, but there we be much frustration along the way, and you probably won't remember it so much later on when you need it. Learn it yourself (with a little direction), and you will remember it forever, and appreciate it that much more.

No such thing as a stupid question. Heck, I'm a beginner in lots of things, I ask 'em too. What there IS such a thing as is stupid people, who jump onto a forum, and post a question, without looking first. That's when

you see the exact same thread sitting on top of each other in the forum.

OK, Search isn't perfect, fair point, so using search doesn't always give desired results. Still, take the 2 minutes to READ THE OTHER POSTS ON THE SAME PAGE at least! Heck, even reading the Heading would prevent doubleups sometimes. There is no, REPEAT, NO! excuse for the same question BEING ON THE SAME PAGE, let alone as close as two or three threads down on a page! (Well, OK, One exception where someone replies to a week old post, but that's somewhat rare...).

As a beginner, when I go to a forum somewhere, I browse - at least the first page of threads, sometimes more - looking for similar questions before I ask one. This isn't because I'm any sort of net guru or anything, it's just common sense and courtesy.....

This is getting to be a rather long, bitchy thread innit? I'm surprised the mods have let it get this far!

As a beginner, when I go to a forum somewhere, I browse - at least the first page of threads, sometimes more - looking for similar questions before I ask one. This isn't because I'm any sort of net guru or anything, it's just common sense and courtesy.....

Exactly! That's how I started when I first came to this board. In fact, i didn't even join at first! I read the posts, paid attention to the advice given, learned a bunch, and observed the goings on. After a couple months, I decided i liked a lot of the people on here, and wanted to participate in the discussions with them.

Been hooked ever since........ lol!

Jason

Most reactions

Back