One Sister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
French Quarter Store
Store2.jpg

I feel the same as Duncan does.
Motif, composition, exposure, post processing work ... all really good. But the border kills it all.

A third on the great picture but horrible border. The border is way to distracting from the picture.

I did not mean to delete the image with the horrible border...but I did. I have been playing with all manner of borders to enhance my photos...the first one was a failure and thanks to all who viewed and reviewed. Do you like this one better?

Edit: Also, I'm thinking all the saving of jpgs have caused a deterioration of the photo...I'm not liking the quality of it as well anymore.

i think the border is just a bit too thick in my opinion smaller would be a lot more discrete.

Compared to the one before, this one's definitely a lot better. And I still like the PHOTO as such quite much!!!

Thank you all very much for looking and taking the time to critique. The border problems I have will probably continue until I settle on something I think will work for most postings. I've looked at a lot of photos on this and other forums and almost without fail I like the look of a border/frame rather than without. In the brick & mortar world it would be matted so I'm trying to duplicate that feel.

Thanks again for your (here in La. it's "all y'alls") help. If anyone else would like to weigh in, I would appreciate that cc too.

Very nice picture, I love the colors. How did you postprocess it?

there's a lot of perspective distortion in this photo but it seems to work in favor of it.

I know. Actually, it's not all perspective. The dipping corner coupled with the sagging building make for an old world look. However, I do think there is some perspective distortion, as you say. I can't imagine why, though. I lined this shot up square to the building.

I know. Actually, it's not all perspective. The dipping corner coupled with the sagging building make for an old world look. However, I do think there is some perspective distortion, as you say. I can't imagine why, though. I lined this shot up square to the building.

It's inevitable when you are 'looking up' with your camera.
I tried correcting it in PS but that actually spoiled the look.

I guess I missed the first border. Unless it's one that daft or gaudy, I could care less, but I understand you wanting to emulate a finished print.

The distortion is apparent, but given the location it seems appropiate. This is a very nice photo. I love the colors, textures and that sky is something else. Really helps to set the mood.

I think the bottle crates by the door look neat. I may had tried to see if it were possible to (temporarily) remove the rubbish bins for the shot.

Thanks for sharing.

I guess I missed the first border. Unless it's one that daft or gaudy, I could care less, but I understand you wanting to emulate a finished print.

You didn't miss much as it received a :thumbdown: consensus.

The distortion is apparent, but given the location it seems appropiate. This is a very nice photo. I love the colors, textures and that sky is something else. Really helps to set the mood.

Thanks.

I think the bottle crates by the door look neat. I may had tried to see if it were possible to (temporarily) remove the rubbish bins for the shot.

Maybe...I'll look into that for future shots.

Very nice picture, I love the colors. How did you postprocess it?
  1. Darkening of the clouds in an adjustment layer.
  2. Gave it a sepia treatment
  3. Saturated the sign over the door...in the print you can see clearly that it says: "Quarter Master", the name of the store. Also saturated the milk crates, the awning and the stop sign.
  4. Applied an Unsharp mask.
Thank you for all your comments.

I like the shot, although the PP is just a little overpowering IMO.

Also, the cars in the shot bug me, especially the cut-off truck in the lower right. I think a slightly tighter crop would be better.

Most reactions

Back