Dream Come True (almost)

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK!! I'm finally going to get a new DSLR (which I'm sure a lot of people have heard me drooling about). I was planning on getting it on Ebay but when I found out the company went out of business... :playball: I decided to stick to the old fashion way. I will be getting the Canon 50D but I'm stuck on the lenses. I'd like to get 3 lenses. I wanted to have an EF18-55mm USM f/3.5-5.6 IS but I heard some people have an EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. I want a lens I can use everyday for basic stuff like inside shots or candid moments. I thought the 18-55mm would be good but was wondering if I should go with the 28-135mm. Also want a telephoto lens, (EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM).
Lastly I was looking to get a macro lens, (EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM). I love macro and would like a designated macro lens. I wanted to go with the 100mm because I'm truly sick of scaring away bugs and stuff from being 1 inch away. I also want to stick with USM lenses since I will be doing a lot of wildlife photgraphy and want a quiet autofocus motor. My biggest concern is finding a good everyday lens. These obviously aren't the "best" lenses but you gotta start somewhere. Looking to get a flash, probably the Canon 430EXII with an off camera cord, extra camera battery, filters, a lens hood, and a bag to put all my goodies in!

I'm just scared of making the wrong decisions as far as lenses go. They are a lot of money and I don't want to regret what I get. I want something that focuses fast and can handle low light also. I am trying to get something that I won't need to upgrade soon. I know I will have to learn a lot but I seem to pick it up fairly quick (it's in my blood).

Thanks!!

EDIT: Thinking the 28-135mm sounds like a really good lens. It's also a ring type focusing system. With a crop sensor camera, I wanted a wider lens to get more in the shot that's why I was originally leaning towards the 18-55mm. Help me make up my mind!! :gah:

EDIT!! Sorry everyone, forgot to mention I have close to six months of research on cameras and lenses so don't think I know nothing and want people to tell me what I should get!

Last edited:
Thankfully, when it comes to lenses, you are not risking THAT much, for they hold their value pretty well.

I have 3 lenses: a 50mm 1.4, the 28-135 that you're considering, and a 70-200 f/4 L IS.

And well, I think that the 28-135 is a fantastic range lens. I have a crop body too, and I do wish it was a bit wider at times, but really not THAT often. The quality of the pictures is pretty good, and although not the fastest lens, since it is the daily outdoor lens, it works well most of the time.

If later on you want something wider, you can probably try to get the 17-40mm f/4 L, or the EF-S 10-22. I have seen both of those lenses go for just around 500, so it's not too bad.

Anyway, my vote is for you to get the 28-135, you won't regret it, and then if you need something wider get a specific lens for that.

GL

Anyone? I want to get it soon! I only got a minimum of about 2 weeks before I go on vacation.
You're kidding. You won't buy the kit based on your own research? You have to have validation from essentially anonomous people first? Wow.

Anyone? I want to get it soon! I only got a minimum of about 2 weeks before I go on vacation.
You're kidding. You won't buy the kit based on your own research? You have to have validation from essentially anonomous people first? Wow.
Wow, sorry I forgot to mention I already have about 6 months of MY OWN RESEARCH into cameras, lenses, and other stuff! How about giving a suggestion instead of accusing me of having no knowledge.

Wow, sorry I forgot to mention I already have about 6 months of MY OWN RESEARCH into cameras, lenses, and other stuff! How about giving a suggestion instead of accusing me of having no knowledge.
I didn't accuse you of having no knowledge. I accused of you of having no balls.

I didn't accuse you of having no knowledge. I accused of you of having no balls.
Oh really? Why is that? Cause I had a question about making sure I wasn't making a mistake buying something? That's kinda why I use this forum, to get people's honest opinions and experience. If you want to pay for my lenses then I'll "grow some balls" and go buy anything without making absolute sure it's what I like.

Oh really? Why is that? Cause I had a question about making sure I wasn't making a mistake buying something? That's kinda why I use this forum, to get people's honest opinions and experience. If you want to pay for my lenses then I'll "grow some balls" and go buy anything without making absolute sure it's what I like.
There are no absolutes.

However, I will apologise to you. On reflection, I have made a mistake and my comment was off base. I'm sorry.

Good luck with your new gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back