DSLR advice

cy88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, and new to photography, just looking for a bit of advice here.

I picked up a Canon XTi /w 18-55 lens kit yesterday, and I am liking it alot. My question is, is this a good pick? Or are there alternatives that I should be looking at (such as the Nikon D40/D40x, Sony A100)? Something that is same or below the price of XTi.

i didn't do too much research before the purchase because I needed it yesterday afternoon for my gf's convocation. Now i am looking at the photos and realize that they are not "as nice as I wish". Would it because of my skills, or would it because of the lens that it came with wasn't that good in the first place?

My other question is, I currently own a Canon S3 IS, and I am really enjoying the zoom capability and the IS. I understand I can buy a zoom lens that does approximately the same at around $200 with the zooming, but the IS does come in a high price. How often would i be needing a IS, if my zooming shots are going to be done with a tripod?

Thanks all!
Chris

As far as the "right" camera for you, it all depends on how it feels in your hand. The only way to figure it out is to go to a store who has the different models and hold them, see which feels better in your hand.

The photos not looking good to you are probably your lack of skills or trying to shoot something out of the capabilities of the lens. We can't say which because you haven't said what makes them not look as good as you expected.

A good zoom is going to cost you more than $200. With that said, I own a cheap 70-300mm and am happy with it but I was also well aware of the limitations it would have before I bought it. The problem is that is a slow lens and needs a lot of light. If you will be using a tripod, you probably wouldn't need the IS but realize that IS only helps with camera shake, not subject movement due to having to have a longer exposure because the lens is slow. What would you be shooting with the zoom?

As far as the "right" camera for you, it all depends on how it feels in your hand. The only way to figure it out is to go to a store who has the different models and hold them, see which feels better in your hand.

The photos not looking good to you are probably your lack of skills or trying to shoot something out of the capabilities of the lens. We can't say which because you haven't said what makes them not look as good as you expected.

A good zoom is going to cost you more than $200. With that said, I own a cheap 70-300mm and am happy with it but I was also well aware of the limitations it would have before I bought it. The problem is that is a slow lens and needs a lot of light. If you will be using a tripod, you probably wouldn't need the IS but realize that IS only helps with camera shake, not subject movement due to having to have a longer exposure because the lens is slow. What would you be shooting with the zoom?

Thanks for the reply.

In terms of the "feel" in hand, i am very happy with the XTi, or even the XT, D40 or the Sony. I went to Blacks (in canada), they have these few models.

From what I realize, my shots seem to be out of focus alot using AF. I have attached a shot here. I find the shot quite blurry even viewing with windows pic viewer (not when resized), and that was with the use of tripod already. Or that would be the most that the stock lens can do?

I understand IS will not help when an object moves, but the occasions that I would be using zooms would be like concerts, possibly scenery but definitely not like persons or fast moving objects.

I guess the question I have for myself is now: I am a beginner, do I need to spend $1.3k CAD on a XTi, or I can live with the cheaper $700CAD D40, $1000CAD XT or the $1000CAD D40x to start learning how to shot?

Hold on did you buy the XTi already? I never recommend the D40 or D40x because it can not use all of Nikon's own lenses. For the cost of the D70 and a second hand lens puts you back in D40 + new lens category except with a better camera.

Nothing in that picture is in focus. That is the result of camera shake. Even when using a cheap tripod, pressing the button can be enough. Try setting the self timer or get a cable release to eliminate this problem.

IS will not help you at a concert. Concerts have such low light that people do not need to be moving quickly in order to blur, you would get a lovely sharp stage though. It would help for scenery. I would suggest though rather than get an IS lens try and find a lens which a larger (smaller number) aperture over the entire range. Typical zooms like the one from Nikon (70-300) are f4.5/5.6. If you can get this with f/2.8 you're getting just as much of an advantage as you are from IS. This is often not cheap though.

Coming back to cameras though all the basics are pretty much the same. There is little justifiable different to pick an XTi over a D70 or a Sony Alpha. It comes down to aesthetics.

Thank you for your advice.

Yes, i have purchased the XTi already two days ago. However I am bringing it back to refund it today, because I found one from craiglist BNIB for $850CAD with a 2GB Sandisk Extreme CF, which saves me over $400CAD from retail. Therefore I am sticking with it.

I also did purchase the 50mm f/1.8 lens when I purchase the camera, it's such a wonderful lens.

There's alot to learn in photography, and I am very looking forward to it!

Any suggestion on a zoom lens for a beginner?

Thanks!

Any suggestion on a zoom lens for a beginner?
The standard kit lens is not bad for a beginner with a lower budget. If you an afford a better lens, I'd suggest the Tamron 17-50 F2.8.

With the Canadian dollar so high (against the US dollar)...now is a good time to order from the US. I've found that, even with shipping, it's much cheaper to buy gear from B&H (or Adorama etc.) than to buy from stores in Canada.

Thanks Mike.

If you are saying that the kit lens is not bad, then I will refine my skills using it first and invest in a better lens down the road :)

I find that I use the manual focus more than the auto focus - and I have less problems with blurry images. Of course for action, you really need the auto focus. Try experimenting with the manual focus - you might like it. Good luck!

i will say its lack of skills, i always hear about new camera users buying DSLRs becaus they think it will make them a better photographer instantly or something, and thats just not the case. I stepped up from a Sony H1 (very similar in features to your old camera) to the Sony a100 and i LOVe the sony. It took a little time to get used to all the features , but now i pretty much exclusively use manual mode and my pictures usually turn out great. I'm not going to go into the reasons why you should go with sony instead of canon, becasue they're all personal opinions, and the canon club seems to always remind me that canon is better than sony or something, and i dont know if thats necessarily true, and most of it is just opinons... anyway, i think you should just keep the rebel and learn how to use it and get the most out of it. if you're not happy with it though, i would suggest the sony.

i will say its lack of skills, i always hear about new camera users buying DSLRs becaus they think it will make them a better photographer instantly or something, and thats just not the case. I stepped up from a Sony H1 (very similar in features to your old camera) to the Sony a100 and i LOVe the sony.

I don't think that is entirley true. I used a sony DSC-F707 for about 4 years before I stepped upto my canon 20D. I was so unimpressed with my new expensive canon because I was so used to the great images that the sony camera produced straight out of the box. Now I fricken love my canon because of the versatility of the whole system and over 50 EF lenses. :p

Btw I still use the sony from time to time..

Most reactions

Back