dSLR questions

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Bohh, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Bohh

Bohh TPF Noob!

Hi all,

I'm researching different cameras and had a few questions. Could anyone tell me the main differences or point me to some place that explains the differences between the older last generation Rebel and the new 400d? I can pull up spec sheets on these but just getting into this, the terms and numbers don't mean much to me. I'm debating on weather the older one would suit a beginner like me or if I should get the more expensive, newer one.

Also, I was wondering if the 400d, for example, will have all the features I will ever need to take pictures or will there be some features it is missing? If I need to spend a little more upfront I will so I wont grow out of a camera quickly. Reading through some posts I see people own multiple SLRs is this because some are better at this or that than others?

Thanks a lot,

-Mike

2. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The 400D is definitely a step above the original Rebel. Way more resolution, more shots per second...just a nicer camera from development.

Now, some of the things it's missing...

It's not full frame. Not really THAT important...but any pro will shoot full frame, and also usually with a higher resolution. The 400D will be good for any type of enthusiast, but if you're considering going pro you'll probably buy another camera somewhere down the road.

the 400D is a good investment though.

3. Anita

Anita TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Love my XTi. For a little extra money go with it! You can't go wrong!

4. Bohh

Bohh TPF Noob!

Thanks for the replies. Do any of the dSLR's have a light meter or spot meter built in?

5. patrickt

patrickt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A. I know a lot of pros who don't use full frame.
    B. Yes, your DSLR will have a light meter built in.

You haven't said anything about what you want to do. My oldest digital camera has a home with a friend who uses it to take photos to send friends and he's delighted with it even though it's 9-years old. Will an older camera have all the features you want really depends on what you plan on doing. For example, burst speed for shooting a series of shots quickly really isn't important to me so a camera with a higher burst rate wouldn't tempt me. If I were shooting a lot of sports it probably would.

Consider how you will be using the camera and develop some criteria that are important for you.

6. Bohh

Bohh TPF Noob!

Thank you for the reply. Is there anywhere I can go to see a list in laymens terms the differences about the XTI vs XT? I went to a camera store and handled a bunch of cameras but was told the XTI doesn't have anything over the XT other than MegaPixels.

I kind of liked the Nikon d40 and d40x but am a little hesitant because they don't have motors in the body for AutoFocus. Do I need to worry about that? Also, is there somewhere I can see the differences between the d40 and the d40x. I was told the difference here again is only MegaPixels.

Thanks,

-Mike