dumb question about proofs

MACollum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are proofs the same thing as an index print? I've been taking a few portraits here an there and want to offer to have some photos printed in various sizes.

They might serve the same purpose...but an index print is several images on one sheet/page. Proofs, typically are small (4x6) prints...given or shown to the client so that they can choose which prints to order.

If your index prints has big enough images to choose/decide which ones to use...then go with that....if not, proof prints are probably needed.

Sometimes the term "proofs" also means that the prints aren't completely adjusted to what the finished product would look like. That just depends from photographer to photographer. When I show my clients proofs from digital they are pretty much as the finished product will be. But when I show my clients proofs from medium or large format BW film, they are straight machine prints from the lab, or contact prints, and I will be doing more adjusting (tone, contrast, burn, dodge, etc...) in the darkroom when I go to make the gelatin silver prints.

I have also heard photogs refer to contact sheets as proofs, so possibly some people call index prints proofs?

I mentioned before in another thread that I was taking photos of the family when everyone got together for Christmas. they came out pretty well, though I used the program mode since I didn't have much time to practice beforehand to get the exposure right. (It was also hard to get everyone to cooperate.) I thought that since I learn best by applying what I learn (as opposed to just reading about it) that I'd offer to take more portraits and I'd need some way for them to see the pictures before "ordering" the prints from me. Everyone's so busy and I'm pretty sure they'd only want prints. I don't know if anyone I know even knows how to edit images, let alone take good pictures (meaning not snapshots). I'm finally starting to see the advantage of being part of a big family!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back