dumb question

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok well I have a old canon flash from my FT-b and I just put it on my xt and it worked (minus exposer settings). will this harm my camera in any way or can I use it on my xt without a problem?

There are no dumb questions but those gone unasked...

Anyway, I have read somewhere that there can be issues with voltage from an older flash damaging a DSLR sometimes. I am not sure about your particular combination and I did not come up with anything on a quick google search. Maby if you could post the specific model of flash you are using?

Do you have a multimetre? Measure the voltage from the centre pin to the little contacts in the side of the hotshoe while the flash is on. If it's more than 6.3V use caution. If it's more than 24V stay away.

ok my dads an electrition so ill just get him to check that out.

HERE is a list of old flash units and their 'reported' voltages.

Keep in mind that this list was made with an older film camera in mind...so when they say if it's safe or not, they are basing that on about 9 volts. Your XT may well have a higher tolerance for flash trigger voltage. My Canon 20D, for example is rated at 250 volts.

Man where did you find that. I lost the bookmark to that ages ago and spent days googling for it again with no luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back