Dunked my camera. Any tips?

That sux man. My advice is to buy a 7D or Mark II or some other water resistant camera. But you already knew that.

Open the case, dry it all out. Get some electronics spray cleaner and hope for the best. Salt water is worse as it will leave more residue than fresh water would, but hey, what have you got to lose at this point?

Oh, and don't be offended, but LOL! :D

I've never dunked a camera but if I did here's what I would do:

1. Fly at maximum speed to the nearest drug store and get a several gallons of distilled water.

2. Dash out to the parking lot and flush, flush, flush.

3. Shake as much water out as possible then flush some more then shake some more.

4. Use a hair dryer WITHOUT ANY HEAT to dry everything out.

5. Ship everything to the factory repair station for disassembly and examination.

Note: I know from personal experience of 29 years in the USN there is nothing worse for electronics than saltwater. Just salt air is often enough to destroy electronic components.

I've never dunked a camera but if I did here's what I would do:

1. Fly at maximum speed to the nearest drug store and get a several gallons of distilled water.

2. Dash out to the parking lot and flush, flush, flush.

3. Shake as much water out as possible then flush some more then shake some more.

4. Use a hair dryer WITHOUT ANY HEAT to dry everything out.

5. Ship everything to the factory repair station for disassembly and examination.

Note: I know from personal experience of 29 years in the USN there is nothing worse for electronics than saltwater. Just salt air is often enough to destroy electronic components.
Fresh water is one thing. Salt water, as grafxman points out, is another matter entirely.

Your warranty, if you still had any, ended as soon as the camera hit the water. The lens too.

Do you have insurance?

Best advice- DO NOT TURN IT ON with water inside the camera. I fear the camera might be a total loss, possibly the lens too. Saltwater is nasty stuff.

seawater + electric current is a recipe for disaster. I suppose it's possible that not too much water got in to the camera in those 2 seconds. Send it in for service ASAP, but do not turn it on.

Best advice- DO NOT TURN IT ON with water inside the camera. I fear the camera might be a total loss, possibly the lens too. Saltwater is nasty stuff.

seawater + electric current is a recipe for disaster. I suppose it's possible that not too much water got in to the camera in those 2 seconds. Send it in for service ASAP, but do not turn it on.

what is the process for sending it in for service?

Living in Hawaii sometimes I forget that I have my mp3 player in the pocket and so it sees the ocean full force. When that happens I take it home and let it sit in a pot of water for a couple of minutes. When in the pot I give it a good shake then put it in a jar of white rice in the sun for a few days.

I have done this 3 time and it has worked each time...though mp3s are not cameras so who knows.

I have never dunked a camera but I did have a processor flooded. As grafxman said you need to flush out the salt water, dry with no heat then let it sit for a week or so, if you have insurance then send it off, if you don't then let it sit for a few weeks and then try it.

The processor I had was flooded, we rinsed it, dried it without heat and let it sit for about a week. We checked for any problems then fired it up, has been working ever since.

Good luck!

some isopropyl alcohol after the distilled water flush will help with evaporation, and after it has sat for a while bury it in rice. It'll draw out moisture.

hey everyone. it's been drying for about 24 hours now. i never flushed it with water. should i still do that, or just let it keep drying?

If it was dunked in anything but sparkling clean, clear water you should absolutely flush it with distilled water. You will have all kinds of problems if you don't. Salt can be a electrical conductor.

Most reactions

Back