Dust Removal before the shot

Ive used compressed air in the past. But when Im out I use one of these.
$IMG_2693.JPG
Great in a pinch.

Sbphotography.com

A tack cloth does not leave lindseed oil on the surface. Wipe the surface very lightly. A tack cloth is sticky. Tack cloths are used in painting. The last think you would want on a car before you painted it is a residue.

Don't overlook a vacuum cleaner. I use a good shop vac with a variety of brushes. Some are very small. You want a unit with a filtered exhaust.

I do use compressed air; however, it you are dealing with a lot of dust you end up getting everything airborne making the problem worse.

As far as antique furniture, a vacuum would be my first step. I also use pipe cleaners Q-Tips, and anything else I can find to get into tight places.

Last edited:
I was watching a Tony Corbell video segment on Creativelive.com, in which he used black plexiglas as the shooting surface, and he placed a small electric fan into a position where it would blow away dust before it settled on the surface of the plexiglas.

probably easier than the spot correction tool...

I use a lens cloth and Zeiss lens fluid. Works outstanding. Spray the fluid on the cloth, rub the area needing the dusting then wipe with a dry part of the cloth. Be careful though. You'll lose track and run out of lens clothes for your lenses…………like I did. lol

I've used automotive wax and anti-dust/anti-static furniture spray products with good results on certain objects (that can be used with it of course). The fan is an interesting idea as well. Having an uber clean studio and filtration system is really the best precaution.

Tony Corbell is right. Light positive air flow will do wonders with keeping dust off products during a shoot. Of course it helps if the product is spotless to start with.

I wash the products, dry with a lint free cloth and then I give it a good going over with a camera lens cleaning pump. Same one Sean Bolton posted a picture of.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back