Dusty enviroment

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by uplander, Feb 3, 2009.

1. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just returned from four weeks in southern Arizona doing an article and PE.

It was an incredably dusty enviroment. I was trying to take the best precautions when changing lenses and probably did a pretty good job there keeping things clean. I was using a Canon 40D and a 10D.

Other than only needing to clean the 10D sensor once I didn't notice any bad things happening.

After getting home and finding dust among everything I'm wondering If there is a service in which I can get my 40D throughly cleaned and checked out to stave off any future problems or am I needlessly worried!

Anyone been through this?

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unless you got caught in a sandstorm, seriously don't worry about it.

These camera's are built better then you think, i've seen some seriously s***ty looking D40's/80's/XTi's come into our store and they all work awesome. My old D70 looks like crap and has been in duststorms, pouring rain, my filthy car interior, i flat-out abused it. But it still shoots great pictures today. It might not look or sound new, but with almost 200,000 actuations on it, i'm surprised the shutter hasn't blown.

I would say that 98% of the cameras we see come into the shop for a clean/check look to be in "like-new" condition because the only people who actually do them are the people who baby their toys. It's like babying a hammer... Seriously, really? It's like our floor model's look worse then your camera!

3. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Holy crap, 200,000 actuations?! :shock:

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Any Canon service centre can give it a full cleaning and inspection for you. I know a few pros who routinely send in their cameras for maintenance.

5. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When you think about it, that's not really that much. I've had my D700 for just about 6 months and it's got give or take 30,000 on it. That's only 160 pics a day over 6 months. Not much :/

6. schumionbike

schumionbike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    holy cow, 200,000 actuation and your D70 shutter hadn't blown, dang!!!!!!

7. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I live in Az granted the norhtern half but it is still dusty. I just blow out any dust once a month or as needed. Though I am fairly careful where and how I change my lenses.