Dusty enviroment

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just returned from four weeks in southern Arizona doing an article and PE.

It was an incredably dusty enviroment. I was trying to take the best precautions when changing lenses and probably did a pretty good job there keeping things clean. I was using a Canon 40D and a 10D.

Other than only needing to clean the 10D sensor once I didn't notice any bad things happening.

After getting home and finding dust among everything I'm wondering If there is a service in which I can get my 40D throughly cleaned and checked out to stave off any future problems or am I needlessly worried!

Anyone been through this?

Unless you got caught in a sandstorm, seriously don't worry about it.

These camera's are built better then you think, i've seen some seriously s***ty looking D40's/80's/XTi's come into our store and they all work awesome. My old D70 looks like crap and has been in duststorms, pouring rain, my filthy car interior, i flat-out abused it. But it still shoots great pictures today. It might not look or sound new, but with almost 200,000 actuations on it, i'm surprised the shutter hasn't blown.

I would say that 98% of the cameras we see come into the shop for a clean/check look to be in "like-new" condition because the only people who actually do them are the people who baby their toys. It's like babying a hammer... Seriously, really? It's like our floor model's look worse then your camera!

I'm wondering If there is a service in which I can get my 40D throughly cleaned and checked out to stave off any future problems or am I needlessly worried!
Any Canon service centre can give it a full cleaning and inspection for you. I know a few pros who routinely send in their cameras for maintenance.

Holy crap, 200,000 actuations?! :shock:

When you think about it, that's not really that much. I've had my D700 for just about 6 months and it's got give or take 30,000 on it. That's only 160 pics a day over 6 months. Not much :/

holy cow, 200,000 actuation and your D70 shutter hadn't blown, dang!!!!!!

I live in Az granted the norhtern half but it is still dusty. I just blow out any dust once a month or as needed. Though I am fairly careful where and how I change my lenses.

Most reactions

Back