Easy Batch Processing Q

RONDAL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This should be fairly simple....

Just came back from Japan where I took over 3000 photos all in RAW (.nef).
It's going to take me a long while to go through and do post on the photos I have, but want to make available to my travel buddies my shots in jpg format without any post work just so they can see what we did.

I figure I should be able to convert all the photos to jpg using some form of batch processing, and because its in RAW it wont affect the original files for later when i want to go back through and process them.
I'm using CS3,
If anyone has any tips it would be helpful. I usually would spend a few hours searching on google and stuff but im jet lagged as hell and want to get this done and go to bed. Thanks.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread - I have 1700 photos from last summer shot in RAW on my Nikon D80 (so, also .nef) and I never did get around to processing them all.

Any takers?

I'm not sure about .nef but Google's Picasa didn't whine at all when I had it just quickly kick out 1000 jpegs from some wedding/honeymoon pictures I had.

Picasa 3: Free download from Google

Edit: I also do use lightroom 2 on my desktop(currently broken) I recommend picasa for a free option if someone needs something lasting more than 30 days without paying for lightroom.

Last edited:
Use lightroom 2, and export them all as whatever you like.

LR2 will also clean up your workflow, and make it much easier to organize and delete your photos.

I believe if you upload them all into bridge, and click, i believe its tools, image processor or photoshop, batch resize or batch rename, you can keep them the same size and name, and change the file type. Or something to that effect, its been awhile since I've used bridge XD.

You can make your own batch process with CS3! But, I have had LR2 for several months now and would think it would be much faster and easier to use. I have CS2 and CS4 but I am tending to go to LR2 more often. I am not into the heavy post processing that Photoshop allows. LR seems to be a good fit for me, right now anyway.

Another vote for LR2 and honestly, you could likely have the 3000 shots exported and corrected for proper exposure, WB and a few other things like vignettes and what not... in about 8 hours time. If you wanted to just export to JPG without touching anything... 3000 shots would take about 90 min on my computer, maybe 2 hours on something a little slower.

Begin the export, go for lunch and come back... all done. If you do not have LR2... download the trial version. ;)

If you don't like it's abilities to pull all the awesomeness of CS3 and put it into a program designed for mass editing huge batches of photos I'll eat my own hat.

You wear a hat??? In Canada we all wear touques and say "EH!" lol

Another vote for LR2. Selelct all you pictures, click export to jpeg, done. Especially if you just want to show them to friends online or on computers, then just export like 4x6 at 72ppi. The files will be tiny and it shouldn't take long at all, and all you have to do is 5 minutes of work. Go watch tv and come back in a bit. LR2 is king.

thanks guys. i do have a full copy of LR2 here just haven't loaded it up onto this new machine.

Most reactions

Back