Edit my car show photo

I like this shot I took, but I'm sure its all wrong too. Lol

View attachment 125455
This image is fine.
Lens: 50 mm f/1.8
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/2,500 sec, f/2.2, ISO 100

What I have to ask though is what is the subject of the photo ?

the steering wheel and dash?
Just make sure those things are IN FOCUS with proper focus point selection and aperture instead of what is in the mirror.

When I'm taking pics I'm in AFS-Single and pointing directly where I want to.
Correct aperture, etc and all is in focus of what you want to show.

Start thinking about how you want to take a photo. Think of DOF, think of the calculations for DEPTH of items in FOCUS from the focus point.

If you zoom in below you'll see the gauges and steering wheel emblem all sharp and legible.

DSC_2884 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

• ƒ/8.0
  • 18.0 mm
  • 1/200
  • 640 ISO

Use your D610's ISO to get the aperture that you need.

I like this shot I took, but I'm sure its all wrong too. Lol

View attachment 125455
This image is fine.
Lens: 50 mm f/1.8
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/2,500 sec, f/2.2, ISO 100

What I have to ask though is what is the subject of the photo ?

the steering wheel and dash?
Just make sure those things are IN FOCUS with proper focus point selection and aperture instead of what is in the mirror.

Yeah...just realized it was out of focus. Its getting a reject.

In one of my car shows I did I really started learning how to use Photoshop.
I removed people, buildings, etc. to eliminate all the clutter around the cars.
sometimes, 'ya gotta get rid of that stuff.

There was a hotel behind this car. If you look at the pine tree just to the left you'll see an oddity at it's peak. An entire building I removed.
DSC_2928 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here's a subject of a wheel. Notice how the wheel is sharp all the way around. proper aperture for the subject including the "FORD GT" emblem.
DSC_2811 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

In one of my car shows I did I really started learning how to use Photoshop.
I removed people, buildings, etc. to eliminate all the clutter around the cars.
sometimes, 'ya gotta get rid of that stuff.

I don't have the time or patience to do that kind of intensive photoshop work. If its something I can remove easily, I'll do it. But if its going to requires hours of work, I'll pass. Sometimes I like to leave people in the photos since it adds a human element instead of making the photo peopleless. Its a car show..there is going to be people and distractions there. Nothing I can do about it and I'm not a HUGE fan of composition unless it's absolutely necessary to the save the shot.

But like you said before, it's all personal preference and that's what makes us unique.

I never asked for my photo to be critiqued, If I did...I would have said so. I really don't like being reminded that my photos suck because I know they do. I just simply wanted an alternate perspective of post processing. But I really appreciate your help and I'm going to a car show this weekend...depending on weather...and I will take your advice in consideration and I'll do a little bit of experimenting...though, not a huge fan of location this weekend so I'll be focusing more on details than anything.

Because I go to shows so much, its gets boring photographing the same cars over and over.

My wheel shot.

RX100 M3 at 1/800, f/2.8, ISO 125

Erwin-160730-4589.jpg

And another wheel subject.

D7000 + 12-24 f/4 at f/4, 1/400 and ISO 400.

Erwin-140719-9678.jpg

The photos are really fine, personal preference, etc.
But the "what is in focus" is what you have to work on.

The Hot Rod shot was fine. Though you probably focused on the license plate. Then with the f.2.5 the OOF started fairly quickly after that.
But on those Hot Rods the Engine and grill is what is one of the main subjects. Why is that OOF ?

Focus on the more front part of engine. Use a larger aperture say f/7.1.

Because I go to shows so much, its gets boring photographing the same cars over and over.
I stopped going to car shows. I started seeing the same cars over and over again.
I want to go to some more high end ones around here but schedule hasn't aligned.
It happens

My wheel shot.

RX100 M3 at 1/800, f/2.8, ISO 125

View attachment 125473

And another wheel subject.

D7000 + 12-24 f/4 at f/4, 1/400 and ISO 400.

View attachment 125474
I like those wheels shots. they're in focus.
but you are using different cameras where the DOF /FOV is different per the aperture.
On you D610 FF you have the Least DOF /FOV of all those cameras.

On the M3 it has a 1 inch processor
On the d7000 an APS-C
The d610 a FF sensor
you really have to understand the difference in DOF /FOV dependent upon the sensor size, and compensate the aperture selection due to it ..

ie, pump UP the aperture on the d610. Next car show START at f/8. Single Focus Point on the subject. and see how you do.

https://lensvid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Sensors-size-01-01.jpg
Sensors-size-01-01.jpg

I stopped going to car shows. I started seeing the same cars over and over again.
I want to go to some more high end ones around here but schedule hasn't aligned.
It happens

But since I have a show car, don't really want to stop going to them just because I see the same cars over and over. Sometimes different people attend the show that never seen this car and since its a pretty rare car and signed by actors, its gotta be shown a lot..hence..show car lol.

I see a lot of photographers at these shows but you know they are there for 2 hours..I'm there 8 hours or sometimes more! I could stop bring my camera, but then I'd be bored so having a camera and walking around I try my best to see stuff that not everyone notices.

The thing is, I like blowing out the background and I know with cars..its not easy. Maybe I should get a like a 85 1.8 because then I could shoot with a smaller aperture and get what I want in focus but still have the background blown out. The issue is space, I'd have to step back further and I'm sure as you know that sometimes there just isn't that much room.

Here's another car show shot I took a couple weekends ago. I took this shot a low angle because there was actually structure behind the car and plus the sky looked cool.

D610 + 24-120 f/4 at f/5.6, 24mm, ISO 100

Erwin-160724-4373.jpg

Here's another car show shot I took a couple weekends ago. I took this shot a low angle because there was actually structure behind the car and plus the sky looked cool.

D610 + 24-120 f/4 at f/5.6, 24mm, ISO 100

View attachment 125476
I like it.
but what Focus Mode do you use ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back