Edit this pic people! Want to see all the different styles in here.

ADAMJAY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So as i'm editing some of the pics I took this weekend at the beach. I kinda have an idea of what I want the pic to look like before I start but as I start adjusting stuff ( I mostly use Lightroom) my ideas start to change and then I just go with it. What's your process when editing your OWN pictures? Not pictures for clients.

And also, if you want. Edit this picture! It would be cool to see how it turns out from different people/styles.

THIS IS RAW STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA -
(if there is another better way to send this pic to anyone that would want to edit it, please let me know...im new to this site and first time doing this)
24liryv.jpg

Looks good! Black & White was a given with this pic.

What all did you do? if you don't mind me asking SSCARMACK

Dropped the Saturation
Blasted the contrast (all the way up)
Destroyed the shadows (got rid of them)
Bumped up the highlights just a little bit

Thats pretty much it.

I went for a very naturalistic look--but I DID remove the sunburned face... I wanted this to look like it was a nice, evenly-lighted, serene day at the beach, about two hours before sunset. Since you asked for use to detail our steps, I decide to take an unusual approach for me, which is to do almost everything via "sliders", instead of my normal way of using the curves tool a LOT. This is really basic "slider-editing", with no brushes, just easily repeatable stuff.

24liryv_Derrel's edit.JPG

Here is the step-by-step:
1-recovery-51
2-exposure + 0.75
3-tone curve Medium contrast
4-fill light +20 for pants
5-ADJUSTED THE REDS--
6-clarity +5
7-vibrance +14
8-recovery moved to 85 to maintain the whites in the largest wave
9-sharpening 40, masking 24
10-minor curves
11-adjusted the blue luminance downward -14, and added +6 on blue's hue

Last edited:
Here is my quick and dirty edit
Adjusted the levels on the boy. (Had I more time, I would have refined the mask better)
Added some vibrance
Threw on a curve layer over the ocean
Straightened the horizon

24liryv-Edit.jpg

18948067120_a282c86abf_o.jpg

Leveled the horizon.
Selected the boy, did a copy, and used the clone tool to paint the beach sand, surf, water and sky over him. Did a paste to put him back but in his own layer, and turned the layer off for a moment.
Adjusted levels in the background layer to highten the blue sky and bring out blacks a bit.
Made the boy visible again, did another set of levels on that layer to lighten him up.
Did a Transform, Scale to make him a bit larger and get the horizon out of his head.
Ten minutes.

That's two of my pet peeves, by the way: horizon not level, and horizon through the head. :)

Last edited:
untitled-.jpg
brighten it a little, and sharpen. :apathy::apathy::apathy:

Technically loved Wfooshee's rendition the most along with Darrel's Sky, would love to see the two unified into one :)

Thanks everyone! One of the first things I HAD to do was level the horizon. Bugs me so bad with the pics I took that weekend.

Most reactions

Back