Editing Problems - Venice, Italy

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by AUZambo, Jun 27, 2007.

1. AUZambo

AUZambo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just finished touching up my pictures from Italy. When I was browsing through the finished photos and comparing them to the originals, I noticed that all of the edited ones seemed to have richer red tones.

I went back into photoshop elements and opened up one of the original JPGs, made no changes and saved as another file. When I opened the new one it too had richer reds than the original even though I made no changes.

Below is an example (I'm hoping what I'm talking about shows up). Does anyone know what's causing this?

All pictures were originally RAW files, I made EV adjustments in the RAW conversion tool and saved as JPGs. I then finished editing the JPG in Elements. Would going from RAW to TIFF halp me avoid this problem?

[​IMG]

*EDIT: Ok, what I'm referring to isn't showing up here in the images (so I deleted one of the pics). It's only evident when I open both images in the Preview utility on my Mac. Will the differences show up if I print the pictures? Is this a common problem or am I making no sense at all?!

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes
    The problem is in relation to the embedded ICC colour profile. The viewing / printing application needs to be colour management aware.

The standard for all photos is sRGB. Open the image in photoshop, click edit -> convert profile -> select sRGB and use the perceptual method, and untick black colour matching. The image should look no different in photoshop since the differences in colour will not be visible using a cheap computer monitor. But it should now look the same regardless of the program you use to view it.

3. AUZambo

AUZambo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! That was it. It's actually easier to change the color profile in the preview utility than in the photoshop program, but that's fixing the problem. I was afraid I was going to have to start over from scratch!