Editing Techniques

tayloramr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I see so many photos that are edited and look like they have this magazine look to them. I don't know if that makes sense. But I want to know how to create this effect, is it a simple photoshop technique or photo software? Or is at all kinds of playing around? I can never seem to achieve that glow....

if you give us an example of exactly what you are looking for it'd be easier to tell what u are going for.

My best guess (since u used the word glow) is that they are using HDR or some form of levels adjustments, but i'd have to see the picture for sure.

I see so many photos that are edited and look like they have this magazine look to them. I don't know if that makes sense. But I want to know how to create this effect, is it a simple photoshop technique or photo software? Or is at all kinds of playing around? I can never seem to achieve that glow....
You need the coaching of a professional image editor:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS4-Photographers-Professional/dp/0240521250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267146813&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers: A Professional Image Editor's Guide to the Creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC (9780240521251): Martin Evening: Books[/ame]

if you give us an example of exactly what you are looking for it'd be easier to tell what u are going for.

My best guess (since u used the word glow) is that they are using HDR or some form of levels adjustments, but i'd have to see the picture for sure.

here is a website where there are a lot of photos, they have rich colors, a sort of glow to them...i dont know how to describe it

Mala Hyder Photography

thanks!

I am going to respectfully disagree that they look magazine quality. Her processing is inconsistent--some look pretty good, some look straight out of the camera. But personally, the images are not very striking to me.

Anyways, I think what you are responding to is fairly good photography by her. Her compositions are good and she poses people in flattering ways or finds the angles. But the processing she does is fairly basic. If your photography in the camera isn't at least at her level, you can't do much in post to bring it to a professional level. I hope that makes sense. There are exceptions. But generally I feel you need to capture good stuff to make great stuff in post. So, if you can objectively assess your photography and you feel it still is a little rough, I think you should put more of your time into getting better at shooting than learning post work.

The book another poster recommended is probably a good start. Or you could try Lynda.com, they have a really good course called Portrait Retouching by Chris Orwig. This course is easy to follow and takes post-processing to a very deep level.

I am going to respectfully disagree that they look magazine quality. Her processing is inconsistent--some look pretty good, some look straight out of the camera. But personally, the images are not very striking to me.

The book another poster recommended is probably a good start. Or you could try Lynda.com, they have a really good course called Portrait Retouching by Chris Orwig. This course is easy to follow and takes post-processing to a very deep level.

I guess that wasn't a great example, its hard to find one that i havent actually seen in a magazine. I viewed your website and your pictures are great, would you say that is all in the camera and no post production?

I guess that wasn't a great example, its hard to find one that i havent actually seen in a magazine. I viewed your website and your pictures are great, would you say that is all in the camera and no post production?

Thank you for the compliment. It's not that black and white imo, where it's all in camera or it's all post. It's both. Most of the people images that land in my portfolio have had a lot of time invested before the shoot, during the shoot and in post. My point is that you need to get the image to a certain point in camera in order to bring it to a professional place in post. I've never seen your work, so I don't know where you are with your photography. But I think if your photography itself is still rough around the edges, that is where some of your time should go, in addition to learning post processing techniques. For example, if you are not lighting your subjects well or creating engaging compositions or creating a sense of intent with your work, there is only so much post can do. It's like hiring the London Philharmonic Orchestra to play a mediocre piece of music. It helps a little. But give them something good and they shine. I'm not judging you, I've never seen your work, but I had a feeling you were responding to more of the photographer's skill in image capturing than her post skills.

There are a few of her pictures that have a "glow" that is done in post. I us Nikon Capture Nx2, with Color Efx Pro. That has filters which provide that softening and glow like effect.
But many of her pictures look like she has either made good use of sunlight, or used a lot of well placed flash. Her subjects seem highly lit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back