Electronic Shutter

sashbar

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used the electronic shutter for the first time yesterday, I do not know why I did no do it before. It works really nicely in X-T1. Bright sun, and I can use f/1.2 with shutter speed 1/20000 sec.

2_Canalway_Cavalcade_73.jpg

I was wondering what electronic shutter was.

does it just increase the speeds of the shutter?

I was wondering what electronic shutter was.

does it just increase the speeds of the shutter?

With digital sensors an exposure time can be accomplished in two different ways. A physical shutter uses moving curtains in front of the sensor that block the light. An exposure then requires moving the curtains out of the light path to expose the sensor. This physical operation can be done with variable timing -- shutter speeds. This is the same type of shutter used in a film camera.

With a digital sensor a second option exists to electronically read the sensor with variable timing. Many compact cameras, think cell phone, don't have physical shutters at all. The sensor is constantly exposed in the light path and when an image is captured the effective shutter speed is the time used to read the sensor. The camera will typically make some kind of "clicky noise" that is just a simulation to make the photographer feel like they heard the photo capture event.

Digital SLRs are typically designed with physical shutters which makes sense given the mirror and optical viewing system. Mirrorless cameras can go either way or in the case of Fuji X cameras provide both options. An electronic shutter (no moving parts) can implement faster and more accurate shutter speeds than a physical shutter -- nice feature.

Joe

thank you sarex, for the information. I did however know how a physical shutter works :)

Most reactions

Back