Elijah Craig - Small Batch 12 Year Bourbon

JAC526 said:
Fair enough. I like it straight. Others may not.

I've tried Booker's straight and with water. To me its better straight.

EDIT: There are a lot of big names in your post. I've only every bought Blanton's once and never even checked the proof. I just remember it as being oh so smooth and wonderful.

It's not so much about big names. My point was merely that they're master distillers and thus are the people who make the bourbon to be mixed with water for most people. I'm not name dropping as much as stating that its literally incorrect to say that booker's, for example, was made to be drank neat. Sure you can enjoy it that way, but it was in fact made so that most people would add water to it. The person who literally designed it and tasted it and approved it said as much. That is, it's not my opinion that bourbon is designed so that most people would add water to it, it's simply a fact.

Didn't mean to jump all over you, but it does bother me when people say bourbon should only ever be drank neat and if you do it otherwise you're doing it wrong. For most people that will A) cause them to not like it and B) prevents them from actually tasting bourbon's flavors.

Bourbon should be enjoyed at the proof your palette can handle. If the alcohol overwhelms your palette you should add water to it. It's that simple.

Last edited:
JAC526 said:
Fair enough. I like it straight. Others may not.

I've tried Booker's straight and with water. To me its better straight.

EDIT: There are a lot of big names in your post. I've only every bought Blanton's once and never even checked the proof. I just remember it as being oh so smooth and wonderful.

It's not so much about big names. My point was merely that they're master distillers and thus are literally the people who make the bourbon to be mixed with water for most people. I'm not name dropping as much as stating that its literally incorrect to say that booker's, for example, was made to be drank neat. Sure you can enjoy it that way, but it was in fact made so that most people would add water to it. The person who literally designed it and tasted it and approved it said as much. That is, it's not my opinion that bourbon is designed so that most people would add water to it, it's simply a fact.

Didn't mean to jump all over you, but it does bother me when people say bourbon should only ever be drank neat and if you do it otherwise you're doing it wrong. For most people that will A) cause them to not like it and B) prevents them from actually tasting bourbon's flavors.

Bourbon should be enjoyed at the proof your palette can handle. If the alcohol overwhelms your palette you should add water to it. It's that simple.

I totally agree with you. It is a heated debate among a lot of serious bourbon drinkers whether to add water or not. I personally don't like adding water. I feel like it just dilutes the flavors.

However, I will stand firm in saying that ice ruins bourbon.

JAC526 said:
I totally agree with you. It is a heated debate among a lot of serious bourbon drinkers whether to add water or not. I personally don't like adding water. I feel like it just dilutes the flavors.

I don't think ice ruins bourbon as much as temperature temporarily ruins bourbon. Our tongues are able to taste best at about 65 degrees. So if you are drinking bourbon that is at 40 degrees because you packed it with ice you perceive a lot less flavor, you might as well be drinking grain alcohol mixed with water at that point. However, if the bourbon starts at 80 degrees (perhaps you're outside in the summer or in a warm bar) a single ice cube can in fact enhance flavor. As above about 70 degrees the alcohol flavor again begins to overwhelm the more subtle flavors that are the main reason for drinking great bourbon.

Perhaps more important though is avoiding tap water. The amount of fluorine does really kill flavor. Filtered, or even better distilled water, should be used if you really want to taste bourbon at its best. I don't think it's a crime to add tap water, but if you do, simply know you're adding fluoride flavoring.

And yes, no hard feelings at all.

And back to my earlier point, most bourbon has been diluted. Really only a handful of bourbons are available barrel proof. Though more are coming available due to the popularity of bookers, which is the only widely available barrel proof bourbon.

I guess my Old Crow and 9 ice cubes, and not to forget tap water, is a no no. But then I just saved enough for a great monopod, and a great tilt head.
Once a hippy.well I guess that says it. Later Ed

I have half of a gallon of moonshine left but is in a milk jug and is not a very pretty picture but is *sorta?* mild from being made with mashed peaches.....But its cheap stuff I gave 50 for a gallon from my uncle....

oldhippy said:
I guess my Old Crow and 9 ice cubes, and not to forget tap water, is a no no. But then I just saved enough for a great monopod, and a great tilt head.
Once a hippy.well I guess that says it. Later Ed

Ha, old crow with 9 ice cubes means you can drink more of it. Heck, booker noe's wife drank her bourbon with ginger ale... And her maiden name was Beam.

I agree you should stick to water if you want all the complexity of great bourbon. But outside of that, drink it with whatever you'd like, so long as you're a happy drunk. Here's my current, woodford double oaked neat. Strong butterscotch flavor.

Attachments

• $image-861270069.jpg
    $image-861270069.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 86
JAC526 said:

I don't think ice ruins bourbon as much as temperature temporarily ruins bourbon. Our tongues are able to taste best at about 65 degrees. So if you are drinking bourbon that is at 40 degrees because you packed it with ice you perceive a lot less flavor, you might as well be drinking grain alcohol mixed with water at that point. However, if the bourbon starts at 80 degrees (perhaps you're outside in the summer or in a warm bar) a single ice cube can in fact enhance flavor. As above about 70 degrees the alcohol flavor again begins to overwhelm the more subtle flavors that are the main reason for drinking great bourbon.

Perhaps more important though is avoiding tap water. The amount of fluorine does really kill flavor. Filtered, or even better distilled water, should be used if you really want to taste bourbon at its best. I don't think it's a crime to add tap water, but if you do, simply know you're adding fluoride flavoring.

And yes, no hard feelings at all.

And back to my earlier point, most bourbon has been diluted. Really only a handful of bourbons are available barrel proof. Though more are coming available due to the popularity of bookers, which is the only widely available barrel proof bourbon.

Too bad atlanta is so damn far from cincy. We could get drunk and argue in person.

I have half of a gallon of moonshine left but is in a milk jug and is not a very pretty picture but is *sorta?* mild from being made with mashed peaches.....But its cheap stuff I gave 50 for a gallon from my uncle....
20 bucks here. but then this is the Appalacian mountians lol

Last edited:
I have to say I like my Scotch, but bourbon is about the one alcohol I really don't like - it's the sour mash aftertaste that just turns me off. I have typically drank it neat at room temperature (65-70). All the talk of water seems to cut the alcohol flavor, but what about the aftertaste?

Most reactions

Back