Emulsion Lifters

Karalee

hOtLiPs!
Reaction score
Website
www.shuttervisions.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need some advice from you guys and gals who have lifted your images to other surfaces than paper.

I bought some tile yesterday to use as a receptor for some emulsion lifts, and was wondering if I needed to do anything special/weird/different than when you use paper as a receptor.

Thanks P-teamers ;)

Oh, cool!! I can't wait to see. I've actually only used watercolor paper. :blushing:

BUT - I've read about it and actually bought to have ready a medium to help the emulsion stick to the surface. Make sure the surface is squeaky clean, and apply the medium to the tile with an artist's brush. After getting the emulsion down, make sure the brayer is wet when you roll it. Are you using a piece of mylar for the transfer? Use a little more medium, paint it on in both directions for good coverage.

I used this stuff when I was working with the sepia Polaroid sheet film. It was easy to use. And I have to go home to double check, but I think it's called Liquidex, or Liqui-Tex....something like that. :confused: Any art supply store. Thin it with a little distilled water before you apply, and have a little turpenoid ready to clean your brush.

That's advice from someone who's never actually done it. :lol: Others may weigh in here and tell us a much better way!

Thanks Terri I was hoping you would weigh in here, I wasnt sure If I needed to use a medium to help the emulsion stick or not, so Ill go lookin for some liquisomething ;)

Sure! :)

One other thing to consider is that the Liquitex (or whatever it is) comes in various surfaces, so depending on the effect you're after, check to see if you're buying the "matte" surface vs glossy or semi-gloss. You can't tell till dry-down how it's going to appear, and since you're working with tile, it may show up if the surface is not the same. So keep in mind how shiny your tile is/isn't.

Can't wait to see it when it's done! Be sure to let us know how it goes. :thumbup:

Kara! I double-checked. It's called "Liquitex gel medium". You should be able to pick some up easily. :D

Good luck!!

i've emulsion lifted to tile without having to put anything on it like mediums. Then again, it was Marble tile that I used. It adhered to it like a second skin. I guess it depends on the type of tile you are using.

I haven't tried it on any other kind of tile, but I'd imagine it would stick quite well.

Yeah its just regular tile, I just finished lifting to one, and it seems to be adhering pretty well on its own. The pictures themselves are crappy :lol: , but Ive got a slide printer in sight for the very near future ;)

Yeah its just regular tile, I just finished lifting to one, and it seems to be adhering pretty well on its own. The pictures themselves are crappy :lol: , but Ive got a slide printer in sight for the very near future ;)
Good for you, Kara! You'll be delighted with the new freedom. Which model are you looking at? :thumbup:

Probably just a vivitar one at the moment, although its tough to tell with this stuff, it seems to get addictive pretty fast :lol: and its no use coming here for support, you guys just make me want to buy more... so I do :oops:

Karalee said:
Probably just a vivitar one at the moment, although its tough to tell with this stuff, it seems to get addictive pretty fast :lol: and its no use coming here for support, you guys just make me want to buy more... so I do :oops:
Oh, sure....blame the P-team! :lol:

I think the vivitar is a great way to start. It's much less expensive than the daylab, and you still get to go crazy trying every slide you've ever shot. :mrgreen:

It's only if you decide you want to move into larger formats, or start doing SX-70 with your slides, that the Daylab begins to make sense. Hope you go for it!!

No no, don't blame the P-team, it's all on Terri! :mrgreen:

I need more film too, but it's so darn expensive. I keep thinking we should get a giant lot on ebay to split or something, then the cost might go down.

Cheapest Ive been able to get it is $25 delivered from bh for 669. And that was for 2 packs, but I definately like your thinking Mindy, when I cracked that last pack yesterday it was kinda like a state of uh oh now I have to buy more.

oriecat said:
No no, don't blame the P-team, it's all on Terri! :mrgreen:

I need more film too, but it's so darn expensive. I keep thinking we should get a giant lot on ebay to split or something, then the cost might go down.
Well, be glad you don't have my admittedly cool setup. :blushing: All I like to use now is the 4x5 sheet film, and it's idiotically expensive. I ran out of 669 last year and just haven't bought anymore (helps to save up for the 59, etc!). But unless I have a festival coming up or something specific in mind to use it on, I can't just buy it on a whim and keep it around, for fear it will expire and then I'll use it on anything just to use it.

I do still have some Time Zero that's still fresh, but I really need some new slides for that.

Hi all,
I'm quite new to Polaroid Emulsion Lift technique. I've read a few website articles, and still couldn't understand how it's done. So, here's my take on how to do it, please correct me if I'm wrong.
1.) Use 669 Polaroid film
2.) Once a pic is taken, stick it to a piece of watercolor paper (or any surfaces that you think it will stick).
3.) Roll it with a roller
4.) Wait until it's dried, and then lift the polaroid.

Am I missing any steps?

Thanks,
Sofia

Most reactions

New Topics

Back