EOS 300D and "analog" lense

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by deveel, Aug 25, 2005.

1. deveel

deveel TPF Noob!

Hi,

I have a problem with my Canon EOS 300D and an old Quantaray 80-300mm lens (I bought it 1995, need to check the correct name). The lens works fine on my EOS 500 (which it is supposed to be made for since it's a film camera) but when I want to use it on my 300D I can make one, sometimes two shots and then the camera tells me ERR 99. All other "analog" lenses work fine on my 300D. Can anybody tell me if this is a general problem or if may be just the lens contacts are dirty or something along these lines? Thanks for help.

2. lazarus219

lazarus219 TPF Noob!

Someone may correct me,
    But i think your lens needs 'rechipping' so it will work with the 300D, contact sigma about this- it will cost though, i dont believe the price is very steep for this service,

you may be right about lens contacts, or incorrect mounting- check thse first and then contact sigma about getting it rechipped (maybe wait for verification from other members first)

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, this sounds like an electronics problem with the older lens. As mentioned, usually the manufacturer can put a new chip into the lens, to solve the problem. I've heard of Tamron & Sigma doing this...even for free (plus shipping) but I don't know about Quantaray.

When & if you find out how much it will cost to get this done...compare that to the price of a new/used Canon 75-300 lens. It may be a better option to just get a new lens.