Eos to FD lenses

cmra8407

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I bought some FD lenses as well as an adaptor. My intent was to use the FD lenses with my Canon 7D. I took out the 85mm lens and tried to use it with the 7D with a glass adapter and all my images are blurry. I am so frustrated. Do I need a different adapter? I spent 130 on 5 FD lenses hoping I would save money in the long run. Help!

Sent from my SM-G920V using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Did it look in focus through the viewfinder ?
What exact adapter did you buy ?

Yes it looks in focus in the viewfinder. I have messed around with the shutter speed and ISO and I still get somewhat blurry pics. I got a cheap one off of ebay.

I would look for a good mirrorless camera body to use the FD lenses with.

FD lenses would need an adapter that has a glass element in it to bring them to Infinity focus.

Well, it could be a few things, modern AF cameras are not really designed to be great at manual focusing. so set the camera up on a stable tripod somewhere with no vibration, static subject (to eliminate camera shake and blur from movement) put the camera in live view mode, zoom in with the + and - buttons to 10x and rotate the focusing ring to achieve best focus and take a shot. See how that compares.

Your images will be as good as the lens in the adapter - and no better. Your viewfinder is small and you cannot see the level of detail that you will see on your computer. Just because it looks fine in the viewfinder does not mean it will look fine when greatly enlarged.

To match the quality of a 7D, you need to spend 130 or more on just the adapter, never mind the lenses.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Canon walled-off their manual lenses from workable forward compatibility with AF. Period. I'd also look into adapting them to a mirrorless body.

Hey everyone! Thank you for your advice and tips. I ordered a fotodiox adapter with a focus chip in it. So I am hoping that will help. If anyone knows of a better adapter I am open to suggestions.

What was your aperture set at? The camera no longer controls aperture. If you had the lens wide open to get good light to focus with. And didn't stop down to take the pic. You were taking pics with the aperture wide open. And would have a shallow depth of field.

Update: I recieved the fotodiox adapter and so far it works really well!

I have ordered multiple adapters, and a number of step-up, and step-down rings, as well as Leica thread to M42 adapters, lens reverse adapters, and filter reverse adapters from Fotodiox's website--all in all, a really good outfit they are! Using legacy lenses on new, digital cameras is kind of a fun thing to do, even if it means some 'issues', or some slowness of operation, there's something about using vintage lenses on digital!

Of course, at times, the 'issues' can impede getting shots that would be easily nailed with system-native, AF lenses of modern manufacture. As far as using lenses that need a glass element in the adapter to achieve Infinity focus....ehhh...so far, I've not been impressed with the optical quality of the $35 adapter I have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back