Equipment Insurance?

phild2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can anybody make any recommendations for a good company/policy to insure with? I just upgraded a lot of my equipment recently, I think total value of all my gear is over $10,000 and so it's time to get insurance.

Is it worth joining the PPA just to obtain PhotoCare insurance?

Oooooh good thread. I'm interested!

I'm not as familiar with PPA, you could try American Society of Media Photographers to see if they have guidelines. I don't know if it would be worth a membership just for that, it might be worth checking with your current insurance provider and see if that gives you some options.

My insurance company (USAA) has 'high value personal property" policy for about 1%/year.
Check with your hone insurer.

Hill & Usher Insurance is what I have used for 13 years. They understand and get the needs of todays photo professionals. Would recommend them for sure!. http://packagechoice.com/index.jsp#htwms. I have about about 30K in photo equip & 20K in computer equipment insured for about $650 per year. This includes commercial liability insurance as well property.

You should have no issues getting a personal property rider for you gear through your home insurance/rental insurance company. I have one policy through USAA for all of my camera gear and one for my wifes jewelry. These cover damage or loss through normal use or theft, act of god, ect.

If you are not using your gear to make money homeowners insurance should cover your gear, or give you the option to add replacement cost insurance.
You would just need to keep your agent informed if you add/delete gear. Keeping serial number records and photos of your gear helps.
Check with your agent regarding travel coverage.

If you use your photography gear to make money homeowners insurance likely does not cover your gear.
Many choose to add an inland marine rider to their business liability insurance to cover their gear.

PPA's PhotoCare has a $250 deductible for the first loss, plus an addition $250 deductible for breakage claims. Deductible goes up with each loss in a 12 month period - $500 deductible with 2nd loss, $750 deductible with 3rd loss. Replacement is at today's value.

PPA's PhotoCare plus is an added cost beyond PPA membership.

I got a quotation back from Hill & Usher. They quoted $510 per year for roughly $7,000 of photography equipment. I am not a professional photographer and so this quote seemed very excessive.

I am wondering if renters insurance might be the better option? Any comments?

Ask an insurance agent, or 3, familiar with what your options are. In particular ask about Inland Marine insurance for personal property.

However, inland marine insurance is generally used as a rider to a main insurance policy.

Hill & Usher Insurance is what I have used for 13 years. They understand and get the needs of todays photo professionals. Would recommend them for sure!. Package Choice™ Insurance for Professional Photographers from Hill & Usher Insurance & Surety, LLC. I have about about 30K in photo equip & 20K in computer equipment insured for about $650 per year. This includes commercial liability insurance as well property.

^That's good to hear. I use Hill & Usher and would also recommend them, but have to admit that I have not yet had to make a claim on any of my gear. It's good to hear that, at least for you, they were as good as their word when it came to replacing lost/damaged/stolen gear.

I got a quotation back from Hill & Usher. They quoted $510 per year for roughly $7,000 of photography equipment. I am not a professional photographer and so this quote seemed very excessive.

I am wondering if renters insurance might be the better option? Any comments?

That seems very high.
Mine is 1% of value/year.

Note the OP waited almost a year (Dec 18, 2014) to re-visit the insurance query.

right, but the point is buying insurance beyond the basic homeowners policy is not cost effective
(for non-professionals)

Most reactions

Back