Ever dropped your camera? How sturdy are modern dSLRs?

DwainDibley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Managed to drop my 300D today, fell out of my small, cheap and nasy case which I hadn't done up properly onto the floor, only about 2-3 feet. Thankfully all seems to be working fine, though there's a couple of bits of dust/dirt in the viewfinder (doesn't seem to affect pics!)

Have you ever dropped you camera? Did it survive the fall? How sturdy are modern dSLRs, what with carefully positioned mirrors, prisms etc. that could be damaged/dislodged? I presume they can withstand a few drops/accidents, though I have no plans on dropping it again! :lol:

Well with my camera because it cost me so much I am extra carefull and have not dropped it yet (*knock on wood) and hope I never do drop it. I put a lot of money into it!!!

dropped my camera aboutt 10 times! first of wich fell five foot off the dck of a boat in to the cabin! landed on wood, knocking a few stairs on the way, still survived, my camera is great for everything a sony dsc h9.

pro bodies are pretty solid. and the d2x is a tank. i've been told nikon did drop tests on it from 10ft to a cement floor and the camera survived (not the lens though) I HAVE NOT READ THAT STRAIGHT FROM NIKON AND CANNOT VERIFY IT, so don't complain if you don't think its true.

i can say that i know people who have dropped them while climbing around ruins, and after two falls the camera was still unaffected. i would say be a little more careful with canon rebels, or a d40

Yes, 'Pro' bodies are much tougher than entry level DSLR cameras.

Besides the outside button & knobs & screens...the thing most likely to be damaged in a drop would probably be the mirror because it's on a hinge and has springs etc...It's alignment is critical. Also, the lens is particularly vulnerable...the glass front especially. Many people use a UV filter just so that if it's dropped, the filter will break rather than the front of the lens.

There is a product called 'Camera Armor' which is basically a rubber suit for the camera...it might help.

Really, the best thing is to adopt good camera handling habits. For example, use the strap as much as possible. Have it around your neck or wrapped around your hand/wrist when ever you are handling the camera...especially when doing things like changing the batter or card. Always close up your camera bag when the camera is in there. Be careful of how the strap is placed when the camera is on a desk or table...so it doesn't get snagged.

If you force yourself to take these little precautions all the time...you will reduce the chance that you will have an accident.

Havent dropped my d70s yet but have smacked it off a few things swinging from me neck.

Its built well seems to be a bit tougher then the wifes rebel xti

The lens already has a Skylight filter permanently attached, have read that that's a good idea!

Think I've learnt the hard way not to leave my camera bag open, though luckily doesn't seem to be any damage! I'm always careful but will learn to be extra careful when handling my camera!

Havent dropped my d70s yet but have smacked it off a few things swinging from me neck.

Its built well seems to be a bit tougher then the wifes rebel xti

Pretty much.

I've smacked my D70 on a few things, and with a heavy lens like the 80-200 or 17-55, it just gives it more momentum. I've dropped my old 35-70 f/2.8 from about 4 feet onto carpet once and popped out an element, surprised me but it landed on an awkward angle too, so..

basicly, if you don't drop your equipment, you're ok!

Before I knew anything about photography and shot my Canon 300d in Auto Mode(doh!), I didn't care to have a strap on it, so it fell out of my hands a few times and was still kicking. It had dents all over it, but still worked. I wouldn't suggest it, but it was always at ~3 feet.

I smack mine against something every once in a while. Usually when I have it around my neck and bend down to pick up something. Haven't dropped it, or come close to dropping it so far!

It's not a drop...but I was in the rain forest of Costa Rica and had left my camera bag back at base camp (I couldn't carry it because of the harness I had to wear). Of course, we got caught in a torrential downpour and my camera (20D) got soaked. The inside of the LCD screen fogged up and was like that for a day or two...but otherwise everything was (and still is) OK.

Alternatively, a few years ago, I saw a post on another board where someone had dropped their 20D in the ocean...only for a few seconds...but it was dead. He dissected it, piece by piece...and took about 100 photos along the way. It was interesting to see the guts of a DSLR and it was interesting to see just how much damage salt water can do in such a short time. I can't find the link...if it even exists anymore.

Water damage can be a killer, even just a brief soaking. I do some mobile phone fixing as a bit of a hobby, and moisture damage is usually fairly terminal (though I did bring one back to life by spraying it with WD-40!). I would imagine it's the same with digital cameras too - though there's a chance of saving phones if you take the battery out straight after the water ingress. The battery's current encourages corrosion I believe.

So, if your camera gets wet, best thing to do is immediately take the battery out and leave it somewhere warm and dry like an airing cupboard for a couple of days to dry out. Take it apart if you're confident enough to do that - as corrosion is progressive a camera that's initially working could then stop working.

Bit off topic, but hopefully helpful advice!

Be careful of how the strap is placed when the camera is on a desk or table...so it doesn't get snagged.

That's a basic advice. The strap normally helps to keep the camera safe close to you, but when the camera is not on you it becomes a dangerous accesory. I consider this one to be the most risky possibility and always take the most care with this. Much more than when carrying the camera on my shoulder -when I tend to ignore it and never had a problem; a minor bump would hardly damage a body (it can more easily affect the lens' front, though)

Alternatively, a few years ago, I saw a post on another board where someone had dropped their 20D in the ocean...only for a few seconds...but it was dead. He dissected it, piece by piece...and took about 100 photos along the way. It was interesting to see the guts of a DSLR and it was interesting to see just how much damage salt water can do in such a short time. I can't find the link...if it even exists anymore.

I'm not sure if i saw ito n here or not, but I have seen a bunch of pictures of someone taking apart a 20D, it's really interesting.

Most reactions

Back