Ever paint a camera?

SquirrelNuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I own way to many cameras, and I just thought it would be fun to spray paint an old camera of mine. I figure I can tape off the buttons, hotshoe, LCD, lens mount, etc. and change it from black to OD green or something like that. Has anyone ever done this?

-SquirrelNuts

SquirrelNuts said:
I own way to many cameras, and I just thought it would be fun to spray paint an old camera of mine. I figure I can tape off the buttons, hotshoe, LCD, lens mount, etc. and change it from black to OD green or something like that. Has anyone ever done this?

-SquirrelNuts

Wait! Don't do it!! By all means, the paint will go inside everything, even with the taped off buttons, hotshoe and so on. If you want to change it to another color then you need to re-cover it with special leather or leatherette. Otherwise you'll just ruin the equipment. I did experiment once with a broken 35mm and I found bits of paint almost everywhere inside, there are minuscule holes which will allow the paint to go through.

If you own way too many cameras, try to sell some... :D Who knows, I might be interested. 8)

Maybe if you just used a small brush to paint it...like a model.

I am very interested in altering the standard appearance of some of my cameras.

If you were going to paint the exterior shell of a camera, the "right way" would be to disassemble it, paint only the shell parts, and reassemble it; this may be beyond many people's ability. I agree with Mitica100 that spray painting the entire camera could lead to trouble.

The cameras I am interested in refashioning are vintage, so they just need the leatherette replaces. There is a place www.cameraleather.com (I think) that sells all sorts of leatherette kits, and can custom make kits for all sorts of cameras.

A few other modifications that I've seen with older cameras is buffing the chrome off, and revealing the brass underneath. Also replacing the black bellows with blue, leapard spot, etc...

Pimp my camera!

After I posted my thread, I thought about just painting tiger stripes on a camera with a brush. This is a much better idea, but I do love the leather!

-SquirrelNuts

SquirrelNuts said:
After I posted my thread, I thought about just painting tiger stripes on a camera with a brush. This is a much better idea, but I do love the leather!

-SquirrelNuts

Phew!... :D Much better alternative!

Most reactions

Back