Excited to get home

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I think I got some pretty cool shots this morning on my wander around downtown on my way to work.

Although I'm limiting myself to not looking at the images in camera until I get home - that way, I will keep the excitement going until I'm home, import my images and see what I have!

Obviously, I know *what* I have, because I took the photos, although until you get them off the small LCD onto the big monitor, you can't be sure!

Do you ever look at your stuff while you're out and about, or do you wait until you're ready to process? I understand for pros and stuff you want to make sure you HAVE the shot.

I'll usually do a quick check to make sure the exposure isn't way off. The other night I didn't check until later and was worried the whole time that the settings were off. I was at an event that requested "no photos" but had to get at least a few so I kept my LCD turned in towards the camera the whole time so it wouldn't stand out. Keep in mind I wasn't rhe only one getting photos only difference is everyone else was using their phones with the exception of one guy a few rows in front of me. I really got worried about the condition of the photos when the guy next to me asked if I could email them to him. I was worried the rest of the night that all I got was crap, I did warn him they might suck.

I shoot in raw so the review pane on the camera is usually set to show a small jpg and the white on black Histogram. I glance at just about every shot to see if any major problems are obvious.
Like "Nevermore" I'd be uncomfortable not knowing if I had usable stuff.
If I'm shooting for pleasure then the review pane is in the mode that shows the largest thumbnail with just a little data at the bottom.

Unless I am using full auto mode under bright to sunny skies, I'm going to look at my pictures on the LCD first of all to determine what exposure I need to use and then to confirm I got the exposure I wanted. In short, why disregard one of the most useful parts of digital photography...instant viewing? Why even have an LCD if you don't use it?

Back in my film days, any shots I had any doubts about which settings I should choose, I'd meter it with a separate meter and go from there. Even so, for after-dark shots, I'd shoot perhaps 10 bracketing exposures (4-5 each side of what I thought was the right one hoping to get one 'really good shot'.

These days, any time my lighting changes or I'm aiming in a different direction (lighting change), I'll look at the LCD to make sure I got a good exposure. As I shoot in RAW+JPG, I can easily correct minor over/underexposure in post.

So I think I got some pretty cool shots this morning on my wander around downtown on my way to work.

Although I'm limiting myself to not looking at the images in camera until I get home - that way, I will keep the excitement going until I'm home, import my images and see what I have!

Obviously, I know *what* I have, because I took the photos, although until you get them off the small LCD onto the big monitor, you can't be sure!

Do you ever look at your stuff while you're out and about, or do you wait until you're ready to process? I understand for pros and stuff you want to make sure you HAVE the shot.

I think it depends on how much time I have and what I'm doing between walking around.

I got a wifi SD card for my camera so I can within seconds throw up any photo on my iPad and look at them on that larger screen when I'm for instance taking a break at a coffee shop. Great fun sometimes also to pass around during gatherings as people can immediately see the photos on a larger tablet display

Oh, and do post some of the photos :)

Kind of depends what I am photographing, but more and more I "shoot by the meter" and focus very much on what I see through the viewfinder eyepiece. I make decisions about exposure and metering, and shoot a test frame or two sometimes, and look at the histogram on the LCD, but then I tend to just shoot, using the camera as a camera. Last weekend I shot a family group set in a large, outdoor park. I shot a little under 400 frames in the course of about 45 minutes. I barely looked at anything during the shoot. I reviewed just four or five times during the shoot...the light was pretty much consistent the entire time, I had the fill flash set the way it needed to be...it was kind of weird, but I realized after the session that I had hardly reviewed anything, and had basically just been trying to get what I wanted to "see" through the viewfinder.

Im TERRIBLY. DH usually drives, so I sit in the passenger seat picking out favorites. I really need to start SLOWING down the process.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back