Expanding on the "scotch tape" sensor cleaning method...

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As with every method, I've seen good and bad things about it. Whatever the case, I'm pretty wary about adhering scotch tape to the low-pass filter.

I saw an idea to use PDA screen protectors mentioned on a dpreview forum thread.

I use Screenguardz for my PDA and my D40's LCD screen. They work very well and I like them particularly because they use no adhesive. Instead, they use a small amount of static to cling to the screen (only the stick-on side is statically charged). Peeling them off once it's time for a replacement is completely effortless, yet they stick on very well. Additionally, I've noticed that the screen has a nice sheen and is completely dust-free after I've peeled one off.

So, I cut one up, stuck it onto the reflex mirror, lightly adhered it with the eraser end of a pencil and then peeled it off. It worked very well.

I haven't yet had the sensor cleaned because I don't want to pay a shop almost $100 to take all day to do it. So, I'm contemplating trying this method on the low-pass filter. Could a small amount of static electricity create any adverse effects?

Could a small amount of static electricity create any adverse effects?

I doubt it (that is the same way the sensor brushes work).

I think a regular 'wet' cleaning would be easier and faster though.

How are you going to peel it off? Tweezers? ...Not a good idea.

How are you going to peel it off?
The screen protectors are about 3" x 2". I'd cut it so that it's about 3" by 1" and then I have an extra 2" to hold it by. I could also put a piece of tape on the "holding" end of it for extra slack if necessary.

What do you think? Worse case scenario, it adds a bit more dust to the sensor and I have to get it cleaned professionally anyway?

What do you think? Worse case scenario, it adds a bit more dust to the sensor and I have to get it cleaned professionally anyway?

Yeah, worst case is probably that it won't work, or that it will make it dirtier. I don't think there's any risk of damaging the sensor.

You can clean it yourself pretty easily... It's not that hard, and it will be a lot cheaper than taking it to the shop.

Well, I tried it out. Looks like it removed some but added some more. I guess I'll be taking it into a shop for a proper cleaning.

Any reason you don't want to do it yourself?

I use the Copper Hill kit (too lazy to find the link right now, but it'll be the top result if you google it). It's like $20 or $30. I don't know what they're going to charge you at the shop, but it'll probably be more than $20 - and that's only one cleaning. The kit I have will last a pretty long time.

After what you just tried, I know you'll be able to do it your self.

I have the copperhill kit myself. I've cleaned my sensors a few times, still have tons of it left. It'll probably last longer than I own my cameras. It only takes a few minutes and saves you from having to leave your camera at the shop.

I have the copperhill kit myself. I've cleaned my sensors a few times, still have tons of it left. It'll probably last longer than I own my cameras. It only takes a few minutes and saves you from having to leave your camera at the shop.
Interesting, thanks.

Any idea why the places I called said that it would take several hours to clean the sensor?

They may have other things on there plate.

Many repair places are also stores and it's generally considered good guest service to help the guests that may need it. I mean, I bought my SLR at a mom and pop store and the guy spent a good half-hour with me. He showed me how to operate the camera and got me taking properly exposed photos in Manual mode before I left. This was stuff I'd been studying before my purchase, but it was nice to have it reinforced and illustrated hands-on. He spent his repair time (I did interrupt him) to help me and to establish a rapport.

They may also have other repair projects to work on.

Last edited:
I agree...just clean it yourself.

Besides the wet cleaning there are other, less intrusive, methods. Using a rocket blower is about as easy as it gets and works dust that is not stuck on. There are sensor brushes that use static to capture the dust VisibleDust - DSLR Camera Sensor Cleaning

So, I cut one up, stuck it onto the reflex mirror, lightly adhered it with the eraser end of a pencil and then peeled it off. It worked very well.
The mirror is a lot more delicate than the sensor...I wouldn't recommend doing that again. Besides, anything of the mirror will have no affect on the images.

Using a rocket blower is about as easy as it gets and works dust that is not stuck on.
The mirror is a lot more delicate than the sensor...I wouldn't recommend doing that again.
I was extremely gentle. I know the mirror is just...a mirror, so I wanted to try my method on it first.

Besides, anything of the mirror will have no affect on the images.
I realize that.

Using a rocket blower is about as easy as it gets and works dust that is not stuck on.
I use a rocket blower regularly. Here's what it looks like after using the blower:

I've been wondering why someone hasn't come up with a small vacuum cleaner with super soft bristles on the suction end. I've seen some portable ones, but the bristles were always too stiff for intricate work.

I was extremely gentle. I know the mirror is just...a mirror, so I wanted to try my method on it first.

The mirror isn't the part you'd have to worry about, it's all the little tiny pieces that hold it in there and make it move.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back