Exposure math

Sparky is right - I am still a 6 frames an hour chap with my digital. It is me, not the camera. Ergonomics plays as large as a part as economics - I learnt on a Zenit E - awful focus screen, cumbersome shutter speed dial, two part aperture adjustment, the need to wind on between shots. Fast shooting just was not an option. With my EOS 5 I could manage an astonishing rate of shots if I wanted to, until the roll of film ran out after a few seconds.

I think thats the point with film. One needs to slow way down and really look at the scene a lot more. It's a different perspective than digital.

Couldn't agree more ... I'm often much more satisfied with my 120 and 4x5 results because of this very thing.

You're comparing apples and oranges, Ferraris to Kenworths. I doubt you could adapt a medium format digital back to an RB67 and shoot 12 fps either.

You can still shoot the he11 out of 35mm film, just like most do with a DSLR. And you can shoot a DSLR exactly like you would a 35mm camera. So the medium makes no difference.

Oh Oh, we now have fruit, cars, and trucks involved. :)
I actually got your point the first time and I don't oppose it. I'm just coming at it from a slightly different angle.

I think it's the medium that drives it all:
1. 4x5 - I can process 4-6 sheets at a time, maybe 12 on the same developer. Cost is $1.40 per sheet plus developer which is 1000 ml. So I then have to think about getting those images smartly. Every shot counts.

2. 120 Roll - I can get 12 - 6x6 images on a roll. 40 cents a shot. I need all shots done to develop even one so I might waste a few. Almost every shot counts so I might get a little more sloppy.

3. 35mm film - 36 exposures on a roll and I can develop 2 rolls in same tank. Only 500ml of developer. 17 cents a shot. Now I can get even sloppier and waste more shots.

The above is for black and white.

4. Digital - I shoot way more than needed and I can process all quickly in Lightroom. Cost is zilch so I can be pretty sloppy in my approach. But as I go I am getting a lot lore thoughtful.

So my point is that the medium is what drives the cost as well how I spend my time. But thats just me and others probably will do it differently (I hope so).

........ Cost is zilch ..........

Really? Where do I get free cameras, lenses, speedlights, tripods, filters, memory cards, computers, hard drives and software? And they all will last forever?

Went out the other night to try out the Cambo 4x5. Figured I would try some filters. By the 4th shot I was using 3 filters. A #8 yellow to darken the sky, a 2 stop split grad to increase exposure on the water, and a 6 stop little stopper to smooth out the water. After all the math in my head and adding reciprocity time from the Ilford chart I ended up with 12 seconds at F/8 on a 180mm lens. Getting an exposure App might simplify this. But it did turn out.
To get this back on track. Nice work, and you have way more patience and mathin' skills than I.

........ Cost is zilch ..........

Really? Where do I get free cameras, lenses, speedlights, tripods, filters, memory cards, computers, hard drives and software? And they all will last forever?

This is actually funny as that thought went through my mind. Once I have something paid for I think it's free. :)
But in reality I spent ~$30,000 in the last three years on digital camera equipment and now I'm worried about a $1.40 film photo. Hmmmmm! Funny how the mind works. :)
Well, whatever makes a good photo I guess!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back