Exposure math

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by Rick50, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Rick50

Rick50 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    True, but you can't shoot 50-100 frames in a 4x5 like a DSLR because it's all manual. Economics is a major factor though as every shot counts in large format. Either way, the fact that you slow down helps (I think).

2. Rick50

Photos OK to edit
    Ben Horne makes the point here. And yes, this could be done with 35mm but I never did it.

3. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're comparing apples and oranges, Ferraris to Kenworths. I doubt you could adapt a medium format digital back to an RB67 and shoot 12 fps either.

You can still shoot the he11 out of 35mm film, just like most do with a DSLR. And you can shoot a DSLR exactly like you would a 35mm camera. So the medium makes no difference.

4. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Sparky is right - I am still a 6 frames an hour chap with my digital. It is me, not the camera. Ergonomics plays as large as a part as economics - I learnt on a Zenit E - awful focus screen, cumbersome shutter speed dial, two part aperture adjustment, the need to wind on between shots. Fast shooting just was not an option. With my EOS 5 I could manage an astonishing rate of shots if I wanted to, until the roll of film ran out after a few seconds.

5. kdthomas

kdthomas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Couldn't agree more ... I'm often much more satisfied with my 120 and 4x5 results because of this very thing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rick50

Photos OK to edit
    Oh Oh, we now have fruit, cars, and trucks involved. :)
    I actually got your point the first time and I don't oppose it. I'm just coming at it from a slightly different angle.

I think it's the medium that drives it all:
    1. 4x5 - I can process 4-6 sheets at a time, maybe 12 on the same developer. Cost is $1.40 per sheet plus developer which is 1000 ml. So I then have to think about getting those images smartly. Every shot counts.

2. 120 Roll - I can get 12 - 6x6 images on a roll. 40 cents a shot. I need all shots done to develop even one so I might waste a few. Almost every shot counts so I might get a little more sloppy.

3. 35mm film - 36 exposures on a roll and I can develop 2 rolls in same tank. Only 500ml of developer. 17 cents a shot. Now I can get even sloppier and waste more shots.

The above is for black and white.

4. Digital - I shoot way more than needed and I can process all quickly in Lightroom. Cost is zilch so I can be pretty sloppy in my approach. But as I go I am getting a lot lore thoughtful.

So my point is that the medium is what drives the cost as well how I spend my time. But thats just me and others probably will do it differently (I hope so).

7. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really? Where do I get free cameras, lenses, speedlights, tripods, filters, memory cards, computers, hard drives and software? And they all will last forever?

• Like Like x 1
  8. sw_

sw_ TPF Noob!

To get this back on track. Nice work, and you have way more patience and mathin' skills than I.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rick50

Photos OK to edit

This is actually funny as that thought went through my mind. Once I have something paid for I think it's free. :)
    But in reality I spent ~$30,000 in the last three years on digital camera equipment and now I'm worried about a $1.40 film photo. Hmmmmm! Funny how the mind works. :)
    Well, whatever makes a good photo I guess!

• Funny Funny x 1