Exposure Meter In Viewfinder

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to wean myself off auto settings on my D5600, and use manual setting more. The problem I am having is that I cannot see the exposure meter in the viewfinder outside in the daylight. I can see it on the LCD screen, but not in the viewfinder. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just not possible on this camera?

I wear glasses, and for me, I have to adjust the view finder/eye alignment a tiny bit to see the lower bar better.

Google said this, but the manual says it'll always be there:

P, S, and A modes: The meter doesn’t appear unless the camera anticipates an exposure problem — for example, if you’re shooting in S (shutter‐priority autoexposure) mode, and the camera can’t select an f‐stop that will properly expose the image at your chosen shutter speed and ISO. You also see the meter if you enable Exposure Compensation. In that case, the meter indicates how much Exposure Compensation is being applied.

Waking up the meter: By default, the meter appears when you press the shutter button halfway and then turns off automatically after 8 seconds of inactivity to save battery power. To wake up the meter, just give the shutter button another half‐press.

also, it's probably there but being obscured by the crummy viewfinder window.

Did you inadvertently remove it from your view preferences?

It is there on an extremely cloudy day, barely useable. Nonexistent on a sunny day.

It is there on an extremely cloudy day, barely useable. Nonexistent on a sunny day.

Indoors, on full manual in a well lit room?

maybe my quoted txt is accurate then. I looked at the D5600 manual and it says it's always there unless Bulb or Time is selected as the SS.

I wonder if the exposure meter in the viewfinder of a D7200-D7500 or a D500 is more easily seen?

My Canon 5D had the same problem. On bright sunny days the viewfinder meter display was basically invisible, but indoors or on dark days it was readable. This has been a problem for several camera designs- viewfinder meter readouts which are inadequately bright to overcome ambient light entering the eyepiece of the camera. I remember one day at the beach the viewfinder display in my Canon 5D was basically un-seeable, but the viewfinder readout LED's in Majeed's 60D were easily viewable.

Last edited:
Back in the old days I had a Canon F1N, it had a window that illuminated the exposure window. Of course that was a mechanical ring and needle.

I would try auto ISO in manual mode with your Nikon D5600.

I don't believe auto ISO can be set in manual mode.

My mistake, I can set it to auto in manual.

Dagnabbit! These new fangled light boxes are something else!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back