Exposure Notations

donbarry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Most photography books and magazines indicate for most pictures the exposure data (e.g., f-stop, lens type, film used, shutter speed, etc.). But when I am shooting, I don't seem to be able to stop and make notes on that type of data. I usually can guess after the fact. But does anyone have a good system of recording that data without interrupting the photo-taking too much?
I'm open to suggestions,

What sort of camera are you using? Most digitals (and I believe all DSLRs) record EXIF data, which includes the ISO, fstop and shutter speed. If you have a few hundred dollars to spare, the Nikon F80s can record your exposure data for you (of course, it's nearly impossible to find in the US). When I really want to remember, I just take a small memo pad with me and write it down as I go. I suppose you could also use a voice recorder, and record the date, frame and exposure info, then write it down somewhere later....

I suspect that it all depends on how you go about making prints. I record exposure information for review at a later time. My interest is in prints of the landscape/still life genre. I tend to re-visit scenes and re-photograph them. The data can improve my second attempts. It's use is strictly personal. No one else ever sees it. Each exposure I make is hand metered, framed and composed so there's no 'slow-down' problem. I use a small pocket pad.

If someone intends to publish a print in a medium that traditionally requires such information, they probably slow down enough to record it or they make a best guess afterward.

If you have no use for the information, don't worry about recording it.

donbarry said:
Most photography books and magazines indicate for most pictures the exposure data (e.g., f-stop, lens type, film used, shutter speed, etc.). But when I am shooting, I don't seem to be able to stop and make notes on that type of data. I usually can guess after the fact. But does anyone have a good system of recording that data without interrupting the photo-taking too much?
I'm open to suggestions,

When I purchased my DRebel (300D), I also downloaded Canon's File Viewer Utility program, which displays the exif data when you bring up the jpeg image on the screen. Check it out if you have a Canon camera.

I was never able to do that consistantly. Not even in the darkroom, which killed me. It's one of the reasons the digital workflow works so much better for me. I'm really lousy at taking notes. Wish I could have, since it can be a real help.

In thirty very odd years my notes consisted of

1.over exposed
2.under exposed
3.too slow
4.not enough depth
5.too much depth

Since I usually knew, more or less, what I had done it was easy to correct. I wasn't shooting for publication in a trade rag, so that was enough for me. Probably not enough for anyone else but for me it was.

When I did it, the idea was to teach myself so as not to let it happen again. If I shot a person in the shade, and the picture was too dark at one stop over exposed, then I knew with that kind of lighting next time I needed more. The only person I was trying to teach was myself. In other words I worked more in how much over or underexposed I wanted to go.

Then again remember I had a lot more latitude in the exposure than digital photographers have. If you aren't going to teach photography, you quickly develop a feel for the shot and the notes aren't of a lot of help to you personally. Every situation is a little different so the exact notes from yesterday most likely won't help you today, if you could even find them in time.

The only time I ever took detailed exposure notes was when I was a crime scene photographer. You had to have them just in case some attorney guestioned your professionalism. Otherwise it was informed swag for me personally and of course every other photographer I knew.

Shooting film, it's indeed a drag to stop and make an exposure note for each frame in a log.

Regardless, it's the best way to look over your stuff later and know what you had that worked - and didn't.

I had an instructor who went about with a small dictating recorder attached to his camera strap. It wasn't completely hands free, but he could quietly give the frame and exposure info in about 3 seconds, and mention any other pertinent data that occurred while he was shooting.

Most reactions

Back