Factory Reconditioned?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone have any experience, good or bad, regarding factory reconditioned cameras? Specifically Nikons?

I don't think Nikon sells reconditioned cameras so it must be someone else doing it. Personally I wouldn't touch it.

In the UK we can buy reconditioned Canon equipment from the Canon ebay outlet. Some great deals and the gear is like brand new. Everythig from compacts and selphy printers to top of the range 1Ds cameras and A3 printers, video cameras etc.

I've used them a few times. Great ebay sellers (straight from Canon - not a 3rd party)

I don't think Nikon sells reconditioned cameras so it must be someone else doing it. Personally I wouldn't touch it.

I think they call it refurbished :er:
If it is done by Nikon it comes with a 90-day warranty and some times the reseller will add to the warranty. Nikon usually puts a small indentation near the s/n to denote the refurb. Nikon also sells 'factory demos' and I think those are also sold as refurbished.

I bought a refurb KM 7D and it seemingly was brought completely to manufacturer specs. It works perfectly. However, i don't know if my experience is the norm.....

I must say the first one i received was DOA and i contacted the company and asked to have the next one thoroughly checked by a tech before shipping it to me. It was and it works as it should - never a problem.

Just make sure there is a warranty and be certain of how to contact the seller.

fm

I bought a referb point and shoot a while back. saved myself a ton of money and performed great. never had a single problem.

I wanted to make sure you don't confused with 'in-store' demo or open box model from a camera store. Those I would strongly recommend against purchasing.

with warrenty, both should be safe, but a truely refurbished item is better than an open box demo, since it has actually been cleaned and assured that it is in working order.

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, regarding factory reconditioned cameras? Specifically Nikons?
Hi:

I have been looking at refurbished items on eBay. Nikon calls them “Nikon USA Factory Demos” and are sold through authorized Nikon dealers. In most cases, as I understand it, it is a product that has been used as a display or salesman demo. They are seldom used and refurbished at the service center to meet Nikon specifications. They come with a 90-day Nikon warranty which could be extended to one year by the dealer.

Cameta Cameras, an authorized Nikon dealer in New York, auctions a lot of the demo cameras and lenses on eBay. They extend the factory warranty to a full year and they are very good and reliable – infinitely better than the Mack Warranties.

I have tried to get a demo D50 (body only), but the winning bid was ~ $400.00. That did not make any sense to me since Roberts Distributors, another respected Nikon dealer, used to sell (buy it now option) the D50 body for $445.00 with a full one year factory warranty. Therefore, I never bid over $350.00, but I did not win anything. The cheapest I saw the D50 demo go for was $365.00 but from a dealer I did not know or trust and with a Mack warranty.

I am presently following the 18-70mm demo lens from Cameta Cameras. They go around $200-$240. Again, it does not make any sense since Cameta sell the new one (5-year warranty) for $319.00 and I can also get it from my local shop for $299.00.

It seems that Cameta has a very good connection with Nikon. They sold ~150,000 items on eBay and a lot of Nikon products. What is interesting, in my opinion, is that you can get a feeling of what Nikon is up to. When you get a lot of demos popping up, it is a good indication that Nikon is ready to discontinue the item. At this time, Cameta has 18-70mm lenses coming out of their armpits. Still, it is a beautiful lens – for the money – in my opinion. Technology advances, even in lenses – VR is the thing now even in 50 mm lenses (film – 35mm) J.

Best regards,

Ramesses

Most reactions

Back