Nikon D750 Low Light Performance Question.....

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone know why the Nikon D750 has superior low light performance compared to the D610 and D810? There are several YouTube videos addressing the fact that the D750 has superior low light-high ISO performance. But no one seems to mention why or how. What was done at the factory, what technology does the D750 have that the D610 and the D810 do not have? I just bought the D810 and it is perfect for daytime use. I like having the extra 12 mp. But during street photography at night. The D750 outperforms the D810. The D810 performance is not bad by any means. But the D750 does noticeably better.

Someone suggested that the D750 may even outperform the D850 for cityscapes at night, or general low photography. What is the difference in the technology? I thought all new models would have the new low light capabilities. But apparently not. Looking forward to hearing from others.

Thank you,

Lonnie

By low light performance, most photographers think SNR at higher ISOs and, perhaps, ISO invariance. The following graph is from DxOMark.com and shows the SNR for the three bodies you mentioned. They have very similar performances until you get to ISO 12800, where the D750 has a better SNR.

Capture.JPG

The D750 (Fall 2014) and D610 (Fall 2013) have 24mp FF sensors and the D810 (summer 2014) has a 36mp FF sensor. Lower resolution sensors hold more photons per sensor element providing for a higher SNR ratio. That's probably the reason that the D750 has a better low light performance than the D810. As far as the difference between the D610 and D750, the D750 is a one year newer model and Nikon probably improved the sensor, but, most likely, reduced the thermal and read noise at higher ISOs. You can see they also extended the ISO range of the D750 beyond that of the D610.

Here's another graph from PhotonstoPhotos.net comparing the read noise between the three cameras (higher numbers indicate more read noise). When you see open circles, triangles, boxes, it means that software was involved in achieving the numbers. You can see that the D810 has higher read noise probably due to smaller sensor elements. The D610 performs better at lower ISOs, but the D750 has better noise performance starting at about 3200 ISO.

Capture.JPG

So, the quick answer as to why: larger sensor elements and newer camera models have improved sensors and better electronics.

By low light performance, most photographers think SNR at higher ISOs and, perhaps, ISO invariance. The following graph is from DxOMark.com and shows the SNR for the three bodies you mentioned. They have very similar performances until you get to ISO 12800, where the D750 has a better SNR.

View attachment 268440

The D750 (Fall 2014) and D610 (Fall 2013) have 24mp FF sensors and the D810 (summer 2014) has a 36mp FF sensor. Lower resolution sensors hold more photons per sensor element providing for a higher SNR ratio. That's probably the reason that the D750 has a better low light performance than the D810. As far as the difference between the D610 and D750, the D750 is a one year newer model and Nikon probably improved the sensor, but, most likely, reduced the thermal and read noise at higher ISOs. You can see they also extended the ISO range of the D750 beyond that of the D610.

Here's another graph from PhotonstoPhotos.net comparing the read noise between the three cameras (higher numbers indicate more read noise). When you see open circles, triangles, boxes, it means that software was involved in achieving the numbers. You can see that the D810 has higher read noise probably due to smaller sensor elements. The D610 performs better at lower ISOs, but the D750 has better noise performance starting at about 3200 ISO.

View attachment 268441
Thank you very much for the research and the answers. Now I think I understand a little more. The information is appreciated.

I had a d750 and a d850 for a while. The d750 was better in low light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back