Fairly Odd Clouds Last night

drdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thegoodsleepstore.com
The first three were taken at the same time just at sunset. The clouds looked very odd in all directions. Pikes Peak is 8000 feet higher than in town (14,118 compared to 6,118) and these cloud formations were at least 5-6 times the height of Pikes Peak.

DSC07872re650.jpg

DSC07873re650.JPG

DSC07857re650.JPG

This last one was about 40 minutes later and 15 miles farther away, just as the stars were coming out and several thunderheads were still growing and starting to become active. Lightening was starting to appear under the left hand side of this formation.

DSC07900re650.jpg

Nice pictures... by the way... those kind of clouds are telling you that a storm is coming... if I remember correctly.

That second cloud shot is really neat and you know I'll always have a kind word for a flower close up.
Nice DOF on the flower incidentally.

Shake hands on this, MrSid: a flower close-up will always be an eye-catcher for me, I just can't resist those, either. Which is why I do say, DrDan, that the cloud formations are spectacular, no question, but the aspen blossom attracts me more.
Now let me look up the meaning of "aspen" in my dictionary, so I get the tree right... hang on ... ah, ok, so that's what an "aspen" is - which means that my tree blossom is from yet another tree... an ALDER:

49381234.jpg

(I hope I may reply to a photo with a photo, this is not to compete, it's just one other means of communication, is that OK?)

The very first of the cloud pics is my favorite. I like the dramatic, sweeoping edge of the cloud. The highlights in the edge and then at the opposite side, along with the weight of the dark bottom balance nicely together. The only suggestion I have is to burn in the bottom some; try to get rid of the house roofs that are only barely noticable now.

That brings up an interesting question. I have my office monitor that I do all my editing on, calibrated with Coloreal which came with my Matrox video card. In the first cloud picture I didn't even understand what you meant at first. I had to turn down my contrast and turn my brightness WAY up to start to see the houses, so I wasn't even aware they could be visible for some until you mentioned it.

I often wonder just how different a picture some people are looking at than others depending on their monitor capabilities and settings.

gorgeous shots in all cases. love the composition of the last cloud pic- very dramatic tonal shifts, too.

drdan said:
I often wonder just how different a picture some people are looking at than others depending on their monitor capabilities and settings.

Yes, I wonder about this too. We have two computers in the house, and the other one is used primarily for games. Pics look a lot different on that one than on mine.

Most reactions

Back