fake bokeh

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have tried using the blur tool in photoshop to blur out distracting things in pictures, and make the subject stand out more, however it looks fake, if you know what I am trying to say, it just makes stuff look blurry, but not like bokeh. Are there any tools or things I can do to make "fake bokeh" in pictures? I have cs3 if that matters.

If this makes no sense at all, just let me know and I can try to post examples or something.

Thanks alot.

If this makes no sense at all, just let me know and I can try to post examples or something.
Post samples.

I don't know of a technique that will imitate real bokeh in a photo. One reason to try to get it right in camera.

There is a Lens Blurring filter in PS with options for the # of blades, curvature etc.. A complete cut out of the foreground takes the quality up a notch.

IME (3D Artist) it works best with a Depth Map, but unless you shoot lidar that is probably not an option.

-Shea

why not just get the lens to blur while taking the actual photo?

Now this was a high ISO shot, 1600 I believe, so there was some sharpening and noise reduction done, but what I really wanted to look like fake bokeh in this was the kid next to the blue one, (the blue and white is my team mate) and I couldn't "get it right when I shot it" in this one because they were side by side at this point so they were both focused. if you can see the kid in green just looks blurry, but not out of focus, so I'll try those methods above and see how that works.

IMG_0258blur.jpg

hmmm ok hey with a pic it makes sense now....well did u have any of the focus points on the other guy maybe try to avoid that next time...also try to make it perhaps look like it was obviously post blurred may be your best way to go....what im trying to say is try to play around with it and drastically blur it (try artistic blur just crop out the teammate) and maybe rotate this to there its straight...

You have to remember to keep the DOF realistic. That is why I hate almost every fake bokeh shot I've ever seen. People never make it legit looking. Things should get progressively more blurry as they get further from the focal point, and if one thing a a certain distance is blury, anything else at the distance should be equally as blurry. So what you have is one guy who is razor sharp, and the guy right next to him is just as blurry as the people 100 feet away in the stands. The guys next to him is only a foot of so of the focal point, so there should be negligible difference. If you don't keep it accurate to the laws of DOF, it will always look fake. Use multiple masks, incorporating things the get further away to ad more progressive bokeh.

Because she might not have a lens that can blur as well.....
Once we see examples, we can help.

fake bokah is so....fake. Why not just shoot it with bokah...total time saver!

here is my try with the blur tool...kindof sucks but you might like it
IMG_0258blur.jpg

Most reactions

Back