Family shot - what should I print it on?

I like her hand being up too.

I know my son does certain things and to everyone else it may look kind of weird or something but to me it's a true image of him when he does it. I can look at photo's of him when he's doing something and it fits right in to his personality and I'll remember exactly what he's doing or saying at that time. lol

If you like the composition and framing, go for it but the relative dullness and coldness of the faces will not look as good in a print.(note the blue tint in the girls shirt)
IMO, you need to bring only the figures up a notch in brightness and warmth to get rid of the blue undertone that will deaden a print. Don't do anything to the background

childrenllll.jpg

Really hope you don't mind... But this would be my take on it. Removed distracting fence altogether. And added a bit of my style to it. But everyone has their own preferences. I am still not happy with the girl on the right....
CrewOne-1-4.jpg

Thank you everyone for your responses. I really hadn't done a lot of postprocessing to this one (just sharpened and cropped). Thanks for the feedback on the fencepost especially. It does draw your eye away from the kids.

Traveler, thank you very much for your advice on the color correction. I will keep that in mind.

dcbear, at first I was like wtf when looking at your version, but wow it's growing on me very quickly. A lot. Would you mind a brief outline of what changes you made?

Both of you made color changes that will compliment the room it's going in, so that's awesome.

I like the hand, too. And the crop and warm-up. It won't win prizes but it's a great shot of your kids for you. I have no advice on printing; I don't print many of mine so I have little experience.

Next time you get them in this kind of situation - click, click, click, click. Or set it to continuous. It's digital, all it costs you is time. With kids especially the difference between a prize winning shot and a waste basket shot is micro-seconds.... and a good pinch of luck! I know pro kid photogs may argue with me but I'm not a pro kid photog and it sounds like you aren't, either. ;)

It's not so much the picture that is sentimental, I guess, but it is I think the only shoot I have of all 3 of my kids where there isn't one of them blinking, or looking the other way, or some such.

That's not sentimentality, that is unbelievable luck!:lol: Cute pic although I would crop out the fence post.

I like metallic and metal as well, but think about the light entering your room where you want to hang. If it is direct from your view, the glare from metal and metallic sometimes makes the picture unviewable. I really like lustre for portraits like this if the light is an issue, metallic for the added depth if lighting is not an issue.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I would never print portraits on metallic paper, but maybe that's just me. I would go lustre paper or canvas

Hi all,

Got this shot of my kids a few weeks ago. It, of course, has sentimental value for me and I'd like to print it to hang above the couch.

What medium do you viewers suggest for it? Canvas, metal, or framed paper print?

all 3 by John Bixler, on Flickr
That is a seriously strong image. I love everything in it from the rather shallow DOF, the applied rule of third and if course the subjects themselves (including the tension created by that hand). Really really well done!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Btw the fence post adds to the image and provides a sense of context.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think it would make the skin tones look really weird, and look tacky. I barely like how metallic paper looks for most landscapes, the only thing I would print portraits on is matte, lustre, or canvas

Thanks for the reply jsecordphoto. I havent' seen any metal prints, that I am aware of. Just the sort of feedback I was interested in.

I would never print portraits on metallic paper, but maybe that's just me. I would go lustre paper or canvas

Why's that?

Thanks for the reply jsecordphoto. I havent' seen any metal prints, that I am aware of. Just the sort of feedback I was interested in.

There are metal prints, and metallic paper prints, which are different. I love metal, which are printed on aluminum, and try to primarily sell my landscape photos on that medium. Metallic paper is reflective and I find it to look kind of cheesy, like those animated poster things they used to sell in the mall

Metal prints is what I was looking at, for clarification.

Most reactions

Back