Fashion Photography at Old Changi Hospital

arizphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a shoot at an abandoned hospital for one of my modules. Aimed at promoting lifestyle products.

I chose to feature Sunglasses, Gladiator sandals and a Maxi dress.

The abandoned hospital was chosen as the location to contrast the outfits.

Taken using a Canon 450D with 50mm ƒ1.8 and 85mm ƒ1.8.

Also, my friend actually documented the shoot. Here's the video.

Here are some of the pictures. Feel free to give your honest critiques.

4082284173_233e32edd7_b.jpg

4084665583_048c9df579_b.jpg

4082296923_130c120ba7_b.jpg

4084664397_f70c032155_b.jpg

4084674059_41831a4a01_b.jpg

Other photos can be seen on my Flickr page. Feel Good Bohemian - a set on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at your Flickr set, my favourite shot is IMG_8382. I like this shot a lot. Where is this pretty girl going? What is she up to? I think you nailed this photo.

However to be completely honestly, you had great elements to work with and ok results. I think that working on composition would have improved most of these shots.

I looked at your Flickr set, my favourite shot is IMG_8382. I like this shot a lot. Where is this pretty girl going? What is she up to? I think you nailed this photo.

However to be completely honestly, you had great elements to work with and ok results. I think that working on composition would have improved most of these shots.

Yeah I think so too. When I got back I realized a lot of my shots we composed in the centre. And some were even blur. Was quite disappointed and wished I spent a longer period of time there, and took my own sweet time. I probably only like 3 or 4 shots.

Hi. Kindly allow me to put down some of my observations. I hope they will help you find a better direction for your future undertakings. If I am accidentally written something undesirable, kindly forgive me and let me know. I shall delete my post.

Sunglasses, scandals and dress. These are fashion accessories. In other words, you are doing a fashion shoot. Unfortunately as I was looking through your images, I tend to look at your model most of the time and tend not to notice too much on the products you are trying to display. If I am a publishing company, I will reject your images.

When we do fashion stuffs, what is more important is the product we are promoting, not the model. We are not doing glamour shots here. The images do not convey enough focus to the audience. Choosing Old Changi Hospital as your shoot location, in my opinion, is a wrong choice. The images are already displaying too much model elements, what makes it worse is that you added lots of other unnecessary elements into frame. It makes me look everywhere and everything in the picture.

How to improve these images?

For the sunglass shot, do a close up or a half body, bringing the sunglass close to the model's face. That way, you sunglass will catch that attention from the audeince. Do appropriate post processing so that your sunglass stands out from all other elements in the frame.

For the scandals, I recommend using a mannequin as the model. Putting the scandals on the mannequin will definitely direct all the attention to your scandals. If there is no mannequin, then use capture the image in an angle where the scandal is the most promiment.

For the dress, your current location is acceptable but your images are cluttered with too many elements. Do post processing on the image so that the focus still goes to the dress. Don't get your model to look at the camera. I tend to look at your model if I see eye contact. That is not the purpose. Isolate the dress from all other elements. There is a reason why photographers use a plain background to shoot fashion dresses.

All in all, I think this is a good try from you. You have the motive but you lack vision, ideas, concepts and execution. All these need guidance and time to master. I like your try. :)

I hope my comments do knock some ideas into you for your future shoots. I always do lots of thinking before attempting any shoot. I think about lots of things, from planning to execution to post production to presentation. Takes a lot of effort in the fashion & glamour world. :)

Keep shooting and don't be discouraged. :)

Hi. Kindly allow me to put down some of my observations. I hope they will help you find a better direction for your future undertakings. If I am accidentally written something undesirable, kindly forgive me and let me know. I shall delete my post.

Sunglasses, scandals and dress. These are fashion accessories. In other words, you are doing a fashion shoot. Unfortunately as I was looking through your images, I tend to look at your model most of the time and tend not to notice too much on the products you are trying to display. If I am a publishing company, I will reject your images.

When we do fashion stuffs, what is more important is the product we are promoting, not the model. We are not doing glamour shots here. The images do not convey enough focus to the audience. Choosing Old Changi Hospital as your shoot location, in my opinion, is a wrong choice. The images are already displaying too much model elements, what makes it worse is that you added lots of other unnecessary elements into frame. It makes me look everywhere and everything in the picture.

For the sunglass shot, do a close up or a half body, bringing the sunglass close to the model's face. That way, you sunglass will catch that attention from the audeince. Do appropriate post processing so that your sunglass stands out from all other elements in the frame.

For the scandals, I recommend using a mannequin as the model. Putting the scandals on the mannequin will definitely direct all the attention to your scandals. If there is no mannequin, then use capture the image in an angle where the scandal is the most promiment.

For the dress, your current location is acceptable but your images are cluttered with too many elements. Do post processing on the image so that the focus still goes to the dress. Don't get your model to look at the camera. I tend to look at your model if I see eye contact. That is not the purpose. Isolate the dress from all other elements. There is a reason why photographers use a plain background to shoot fashion dresses.

All in all, I think this is a good try from you. You have the motive but you lack vision, ideas, concepts and execution. All these need guidance and time to master. I like your try. :)

I hope my comments do knock some ideas into you for your future shoots. I always do lots of thinking before attempting any shoot. I think about lots of things, from planning to execution to post production to presentation. Takes a lot of effort in the fashion & glamour world. :)

THANKS MAN! Will keep that in mind. Maybe I was too focused on having a model shoot than a product shoot. You comments have really given me some sort of realization. Thanks again.

This is one of the best critiques I have seen on this site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back