Fast lens

misia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi.

What is......fast lens?? Not sure about that.

Thanks
Monika

Refers to lenses with large aperatures. Example lenses with max aperatures of f2.8, f1.4. They let in more light so they allow faster shutter speeds (or other exposure settings) for given light conditions than slower lenses like a f4.0 or f5.6.

A fast lens is a lens with a wide maximum aperture (small number). It means you can get in more light in low light situations and therefore use a higher shutter speed for a given lighting situation.

Thanks for the info - I get it now.

If you want more information related to "Fast lens", you should be able to find more on the net.

For Example: here

A fast lens is the Canon 50mm f/.095

That would be a typo for f/0.95. The fastest lens that is theoretically possible would be an f/0.5. In practice the fastest camera lens I'm aware of is an f/0.7 - famously used by Stanley Kubrick for Barry Lyndon.

Best,
Helen

That would be a typo for f/0.95. The fastest lens that is theoretically possible would be an f/0.5. In practice the fastest camera lens I'm aware of is an f/0.7 - famously used by Stanley Kubrick for Barry Lyndon.

Best,
Helen

It was. 50 mm f/.95
Is is Leica that makes the 50mm f/.90?

The new 50 mm Noctilux is an f/0.95 lens. The old one was an f/1. It's a bit of marketing hype to an extent. There have been quite a few lenses around f/1, especially for motion picture use. Angenieux made a couple of f/0.95 lenses, Zeiss have made a few around f/1.1 and Kern have made at least one at f/0.9. I've made a few films with those lenses, using them wide open mostly.

Best,
Helen

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back